Any idea where I can get praziquantel?

Forum for discuss on freshwater diseases cure.
pkattitude
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Any idea where I can get praziquantel?

Unread post by pkattitude »

Hi friends,

My discus seem to be having gill fluke and hence I am planning to treat them with praziquantel. But i am unable to find it in any pharmacy in Gurgaon. Any help on where I can find this would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Keshava
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Any idea where I can get praziquantel?

Unread post by Abhi »

pkattitude wrote:Hi friends,

My discus seem to be having gill fluke and hence I am planning to treat them with praziquantel. But i am unable to find it in any pharmacy in Gurgaon. Any help on where I can find this would be greatly appreciated.

Any vet's clinic
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
pkattitude
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Abhi wrote:

Any vet's clinic
Thanks Abhishek - After your suggestion I checked a couple of vets, apparently praziquantel stand alone is not used to treat dogs. Are you aware of any brand name in particular?
Regards,
Keshava

Unread post by Abhi »

pkattitude wrote:
Abhi wrote:

Any vet's clinic
Thanks Abhishek - After your suggestion I checked a couple of vets, apparently praziquantel stand alone is not used to treat dogs. Are you aware of any brand name in particular?
You would be geting combination of prazi and febendol. Safe to be used with fishes works wonders in deworming them also. Use Drontal plus. I have used this earlier to deworm discus and Flowerhorn Juvies.
But will take a toll on the bio filtration also.
adesh8028
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by adesh8028 »

Keshava, alternatively you can use potassium permanganate to treat gill flukes. The treatment for gill flukes should span over 21 days at least in order to get rid of flukes and their eggs as well. Make sure to have clean filter in order to avoid oxidization reaction. You can go for long baths or short dips.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Go to a vet or a vet shop and ask for dewormer for dogs. The active ingredients are usually Prazi+Fenbendazole. Crush till it becomes a powder, dissolve in hot water and use the solution.
pkattitude
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Abhi wrote: Use Drontal plus. I have used this earlier to deworm discus and Flowerhorn Juvies.
Thanks Abhishek - How much did you use? mg/liter?
adesh8028 wrote:Keshava, alternatively you can use potassium permanganate to treat gill flukes.
Thanks Adesh - my discus are in a planted tank, so I am not very sure if that would be feasible.
Regards,
Keshava

Unread post by Abhi »

pkattitude wrote:
Abhi wrote: Use Drontal plus. I have used this earlier to deworm discus and Flowerhorn Juvies.
Thanks Abhishek - How much did you use? mg/liter?
adesh8028 wrote:Keshava, alternatively you can use potassium permanganate to treat gill flukes.
Thanks Adesh - my discus are in a planted tank, so I am not very sure if that would be feasible.

Soak a days food in 1/4 tablet and feed that rest of the tab mix in warm water and drop in tank. Next 3 days 1/2 tab in water, then do a 50% water change. Repeat process again. Keep temp around 30-32 deg. Salt to be added.
adesh8028
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by adesh8028 »

Nope, it is not advisable to use PP in planted tank.

Abhi, I'm not sure if Drontal which is used for deworming can be used for gill flukes. These are totally 2 different type of worms/bacterias.