Swollen Belly - Tinfoil "Please help"

Forum for discuss on freshwater diseases cure.
bhupeshkhanna
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Swollen Belly - Tinfoil "Please help"

Unread post by bhupeshkhanna »

Hello Everyone,

Yesterday when i left for work i fed m fishes and there was no problem at all and when after 10 hours i returned home i saw that my tinfoil is swollen from the belly with a reddish and bluish color shade..

Don't know if my fish is a male of female...I have a 200 gallons tank but its overstocked i know.... All my fishes are recently transferred to 200 gallon tank from my 80 gallons. I don't have water testing kit (still trying to get one here in New Delhi). I do weekly water changes and i feed a healthy mix diet to my fishes..

Except the swollen belly everything is right with the fish.. No fin rot, no cuts, no physical damage, as active he/she is as before, eating actively. I am confused if its a disease then how he/she is as active as before and eating normally.

I have kept him/her in the hospital tank just to be safe..

Please advise on what has happened and how to deal with it..

Thanks
Bhupesh
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Swollen Belly - Tinfoil "Please help"

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I thought your fish is infected with "Dropsy".

1. Maintain water quality, change water frequently.
2. Also maintain temperature around 25 degree Celsius.
3. Add magnesium sulphate 1 spoon per 5 gallon of water. In absence of magnesium sulphate, dose one spoon per gallon of normal salt.
4. Do not overfeed.

All of the best.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

You should take a good picture of the fish and post it here, Bhupesh. After all, the life of the fish is in danger and a picture is worth a thousand words. Dropsy covers the whole body, not just the belly, though the symptom of protruding scales might be initially visible best there.
bhupeshkhanna
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Update - The swollen belly of my tinfoil has reduced a lot now.. I kept her in the medical tank, No Medication, I added salt, Raised the water temperature to 28 degrees. I did not feed him/her for 1.5 day, I then gave peas and Spirulina food..

I hope the swelling will go completely within few days..

Thanks
Bhupesh
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

bhupeshkhanna wrote:Update - The swollen belly of my tinfoil has reduced a lot now.. I kept her in the medical tank, No Medication, I added salt, Raised the water temperature to 28 degrees. I did not feed him/her for 1.5 day, I then gave peas and Spirulina food..

I hope the swelling will go completely within few days..

Thanks
Bhupesh
How is he now?
bhupeshkhanna
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

@Romi - He didn't make it.. I did everything i can.. Though the swelling went away but to come back more vigorously.. :(
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

bhupeshkhanna wrote:@Romi - He didn't make it.. I did everything i can.. Though the swelling went away but to come back more vigorously.. :(
Sorry to hear that.

At least you tried.

I think it might have been constipated. You should soak the dry food for a minute in a small container before you add it to the main tank. Tinfoils are greedy and over-eat easily and too quickly.

You should also learn about live food, it is a steep learning curve, but fishes really benefit. I think twice weekly live food keeps a fish's digestion running like an oiled engine.... :mrgreen: The big ones especially are rather greedy and eat too much food and without letting it soak up water. This causes the dry food to swell up in their intestines, often with fatal results. The best medicine, as Hindu shastras say, is proper and natural food.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

bhupeshkhanna
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Thanks for the link and information Romi!

I always do soak the food before feeding it to the fishes.

I also tried giving her food soaked with metronidazole but she didn't ate it.

Thanks
Bhupesh
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

bhupeshkhanna wrote:Thanks for the link and information Romi!

I always do soak the food before feeding it to the fishes.

I also tried giving her food soaked with metronidazole but she didn't ate it.

Thanks
Bhupesh

It was too late. ill people usually do not want to try new things, even medicine. I hope you can pursue the information I gave you. I will personally try and help you to keep your fish healthier, if you want me to. I feel too many people get big fish in Delhi but do not work to keep them well. I hope your fish's fate will inspire you.