Columnaris Attack… in Cardinal Tetra

Forum for discuss on freshwater diseases cure.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Columnaris Attack… in Cardinal Tetra

Unread post by Romi »

sushant wrote:
Romi wrote:
sushant wrote:Nice explanation. This will be good reference for future.
One of the method to counter these type of disease is by using a good UV filter.
A UV filter will kill everything that passes thru it, including the bacteria that balance the aquarium, cycle the filter and are in the water. In a small tank, this can lead to ammonia spikes just like in new tanks. When the tank is huge , like a Koi tank or pond, it can work but not here.
the population of beneficial bacteria in tank water is very low and they are generally found attached, as such the chances of them getting destroyed by UV and disturbing the equilibrium of tank is negligible.

As I said before, I am talking about a tank with little space since it is not as big as it needs to be considering the fish load. And in such a tank, even the proportion of good bacteria wherever it might be that is knocked out by the UV could be critical in tipping the scales, even if it is 10%. Even antibiotics used are said to be affected by UV filters in small tanks. The UV filter needs the bulb to be changed every 6 months... that is a lot of downsides to deal with, and just doubling the filtration and reducing the fish load, and staying regular with water changes will do enough...
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

Not sure about UV filters as i didn't use it ever in my tank............i think in a 4 X 1.8 X 1.8 tank which is equipped with 2 X1X2.5 sump one can safely keep 70 or more Cardinals .....i am telling this based on the test results ....every week i test water parameter n i noticed NH3, NO2 was 0 and NO3 was negligible. Even i had to dose NO3 for my plants........

Still i'll like to know others think......... what is the ideal number of Cards which can be kept planted in a 4' .... ????
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aawnaik »

Good Write UP!!
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]