Heater and Lumpy Salt replaced drugs completely as Fish Meds

Forum for discuss on freshwater diseases cure.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Heater and Lumpy Salt replaced drugs completely as Fish Meds

Unread post by Romi »

I used to have a bottle of methylene blue when i was a schoolboy, in class VIII. A shopkeeper said, "neeli dawai ley jao, paani ko saaf rakhti ahi aur bada pyaara neela bhi" (Take the blue medicine, it give the water a nice blue colour and keeps it clean too). I knew he was an idiot, but i had seen a man selling fancy fish on the roadside, displaying them in tanks withe the same lovely blue colour, icy and reminiscent of the sea, it was cheap even by my pocket money standards, and i took it home.

i never used it except once, the first time. I decided I liked uncoloured water :lol: Then i threw it away, as like all meds, it was past its expiry date. I never bought it again. Same for Malachite Green. Now, as an adult, i know Malachite Green is carcinogenic.

I cure fungus with salt (non-iodised salt sold in lumps straight from salt mines near the sea, and sold for Rs 4 a kg in village shops, cattle are fed with it occassionally), i cure ick with heat and salt, and the only exception i made was when i bought a bottle of CopperSafe for treating velvet. Rs 225 for one bottle. It was an exceptional thing for me to do, but i loved those three pearl gouramis... they had a shape that i have waited years for! But when i got back, i was got a plesant surprize! my pearl gouramis, three of them, which were covered in velvet, swam curiously towards me as i thought what the right dose of CopperSafe would be, spontaneously recovered!? That was, i later realised, because i switched the lights off and kept them off for a week. Amazing but true. I got this one case of velvet only, that i can remember in the recent past, and i can't be sure it works for all fish, but it sure worked for me, and one fish was totally infested. But today, it is as healthy as it could be, as are its less affected sisters.

So now, i can say i use just salt and a heater (for raising temps, if needed) to cure fish disease. I taught Harmeet Singh, based in Old Rajendra Nagar, about salt and heat, and he told me he cured a tank full of goldish of fungus. So he is another example of 'natural cure' hobbyist.

So if you are a veteran like me (i am in my mid thirties now, and i have over 20 years of keeping fish behind me now, as i mentioned in my introduction), explore the world of natural fish cures and try and keep away from drugs as much as possible. But remember, nature cannot work if u do not give fish enough space to live in, and clean water (good filtration and adequate water changes).

Happy fish keeping guys :thumup
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Heater and Lumpy Salt replaced drugs completely as Fish

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Nice writeup!
Salt is able to cure many freshwater fish disease. Fortunately, I never used any drug from last years in my tanks.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
zico_aqua
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by zico_aqua »

I second that..!! I have never used drugs to treat my fish, ever!! using salt and temperature change actually treats most issues. Guess I consider myself lucky as well, as there has never been an outbreak of major disease in my livestock! phew..!! :)
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

@rajiv & abhradip

Thanks. And good to hear u two are on the same track as me. .:)

It also means there are two guys who will not buy that bottle of CopperSafe that i bought as a remedy for Velvet, only to see the fish cured anyway.

It is still a remedy for Velvet. Anyone who wants to buy if off me kindly message!?! :D
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:@rajiv & abhradip

Thanks. And good to hear u two are on the same track as me. .:)

It also means there are two guys who will not buy that bottle of CopperSafe that i bought as a remedy for Velvet, only to see the fish cured anyway.

It is still a remedy for Velvet. Anyone who wants to buy if off me kindly message!?! :D
I have only one medicine Methylene blue.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

i don't use the medicines from the day i got to know about the fish forums and now the are lying in one corner of the aquarium products :LOL
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
zico_aqua

Unread post by zico_aqua »

What I personally prefer is a very natural approach. One thing that I have learned out of experience is that Java Moss actually has antiseptic properties. I once tried curing Ich with boiled java moss water(then cooled to normal temp) and mixing normal iodised salt along with it and then adding it to the tank 1:20 ratio, it actually worked wonders. The Ich was treated over night. so all natural for me..:) and as said before, I never had any major disease breakout in my tanks, Ich is what troubled me for a few days that's it...:)
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

We should always be close to nature.

SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Guys, this post has been liked by Barry Cranwell on facebook.

Zakk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Zakk »

I have no clue how i missed this post because am a hardcore believer of using natural methods for my fish. The HIGHEST i ever recommend people is Epsom salt baths.

I guess its the old school fish keepers who took the time out to read up on the hobby deep into the material for the simple reason we needed to know. Personally, i know i have checked out every book in my school library. I was fortunate in having a librarian who was also a fish keeper which meant i had access to every book in there for the summer even if i was a Non Checkout book. I never spent time looking at scaping a tank. i was more interested in keepin my fish health and alive. Back then meds werent the norm. It is now, in my early 30s i realise that i made the right choice. I can always learn to scape now. But the research i have done in my childhood helps me keep my fish healthy and alive for a long time.
Just cos it happened to you is no means for you to claim that it will happen to me. Exceptions aren't the rule.

Viresh "The Warbringer" Fleming

eluviet@hotmail.com