Home Made Drift Woods

Forum for discuss on decorative materials used in freshwater aquariums.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Home Made Drift Woods

Unread post by SCORPIO »

juanico wrote:since the prices in delhi for branching driftwood are too crazy for me, i just went out in the forest near delhi and collected some dry, dead branches.
after watering them for 2 weeks in the tank, i could use most of them. only 2 were still rottening (you can see bacteria growing).
am pretty happy with my branches now...for free
Nice. Can you please show some photographs of your collected woods?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by juanico »

here is one piece. i just attached the moss on it, and the tank is not set up properly yet, but at least you can see the branches.
i collected it between delhi and gurgaon, in the woods. there were more nice pieces, but i had no tools and only little time. next time, i'll collect more.
you just have to make sure to collect wood which is dead for a long time (not freshly cut), then it should do in an aquarium.

SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Juanico, you got a beautiful wood. Is it a single piece or you have joint woods?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ishaan »

how to use a wood which is not weathered properly in water before using in an aquarium ,i think this will change the color of aquarium to brown. :idea:

correct me if i am wrong :lol: :lol:
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

Nice pic of wood dude...
ishaan wrote:how to use a wood which is not weathered properly in water before using in an aquarium ,i think this will change the color of aquarium to brown. :idea:

correct me if i am wrong :lol: :lol:
Ishaan @ water color change if that one is red wood..well dry wood is good as drift wood..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

@mazz......thanks,this question arsed in my mind because the driftwood that i purchased (not with me now) always changed water color to brown so i just gave it to someone :D
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

SCORPIO wrote:Juanico, you got a beautiful wood. Is it a single piece or you have joint woods?
these are 2 pieces. i joined them together with epoxy and also mounted the stone on top.
it does not change the colour of the water, maybe because it is only very little wood in the whole tank.

i have also some big pieces of drift wood in another tank (bought in lfs). they changed the water colour for a few weeks, but its ok now.
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

Brown water show for 10-15 day regular water change will helpfull after...after 10-15 days it became normal no coloration will appear with wood..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

You can any hard wood in aquarium after preparing for aquarium bu following steps:

1. Remove the bark of the wood.
2. Soak the wood in warm water for three days. It will release the tenin is water and will not brown the aquarium water.
3. Put some stones or weight on the woods to soak it completely.
4. After three days throw the water and use new water to soak the wood. Also mix some normal salt in the water.
5. Remove the wood when it soaked in the water without weight.
6. Clean the wood carefully using a toothbrush.
7. Now it is ready to put in the aquarium.

SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Digging a very old post posted by Ahishek. Actually I want to make these type of branches for my shrimp tank. Before starting the procedure, i have some research and the conclusion is "Aluminum is also toxic, if pH drops down below 5". It does not corrosion easily. Also used as a phosphate remover. So it can also be use as a algae remover.

Please consider the following links:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/7/chemistry

http://aquapetz.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=12&t=108