Loofa / vetiver / Stones / Homoeopathic medicines

Forum for discuss on decorative materials used in freshwater aquariums.
jaigu
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Loofa / vetiver / Stones / Homoeopathic medicines

Unread post by jaigu »

Hi,

Newbie here..
I am a huge fan of aquascaping, trying to set up a well planted 90 liters aquascape.

Couple of questions...

Has anybody ever used Vetiver: Cympopogon grass root (Ramacham in malayalam) or Loofa (Natural bath sponge) as an aquarium background? I personally think that Loofa can make an excellent natural planter, which can dissolve biologically , and also can be stuffed with clay / fertilizer for plant roots to absorb. They might also allow plant roots to spread, as they have gaps. Comments?

I am from kerala. There are many of laterite stones /pebbles (called vettukallu in malayalam). They look similar to Moram stones posted here "viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2339". How do they rate as an aquarium substrate?

I saw a bottle of Homoepathic medicine bottle lying around, in our house. Saw some chemical names which might be useful as fertilizers. Any thoughts on these ???

Lastly, I have loads and loads (Yes, a truckload !!!) of purple / Red Cabomba in the river nearby. I have put these in my aquarium and seems they are not dying out, or growing either. I am having 9+7 W LED bulbs for my aquarium with 6500 K at around 800 lumens each. How do you successfully grow these? Planning to buy normal 18 W LED bulb * 3 numbers for my tank..

Will surely update with photos, once fully set up..

Thanks for this wonderful forum..

Tank dimensions: 60L*48W*52H..
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Loofa / vetiver / Stones / Homoeopathic medicines

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Homeopathic medicines as plant fertilizers ? This must be the first time that anyone has raised such a query.I doubt anyone on planet earth has an answer to this.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

apuda2010 wrote:Homeopathic medicines as plant fertilizers ? This must be the first time that anyone has raised such a query.I doubt anyone on planet earth has an answer to this.

it is certainly a very 'striking' idea. :mrgreen:
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

JAigu, that is a LOT of questions crammed into the FIRST post for sure. Please take the time to give an introduction of yourself in the self-introduction thread first.

I think there are a million and one things once can use for background based what is available locally. Roots of terrestrial plants are theoretically acceptable unless they are biologically too 'raw' and release nutrients too rapidly into the water and even noxious gases as they decompose. Try a small bit first and see how it goes.... For the stones, try the 'vinegar test'. if they dissolve in vinegar or foam/foam with it, they should not be used. if this test is too basic, u could use a water test kit to see if the water is affected. Ideally the water should not be affected that much. There are too many stone types in India for us to be able to just hear a name and give an assessment.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I used a homeopathy medicine as plant booster. Results are satisfactory. At present I am out of station with family. After coming back, I will share my experiance. I know one more aquarist who used homeopathy medicine with aquatic plants.
Nice topic. Keep it up.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
jaigu
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by jaigu »

Thanks..
Sorry for me "cutting the cackle" without proper self introduction..
I'm Jai from kerala, living in Pune, Maharashtra. Very passionate about aquascaping.

Really happy to have great aquascapists here.
Will update on my tank soon and many innovative ideas..

@Scorpio
Great news. Just as I thought. Hope to hear from you more, soon.
Thanks.
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

I would suggest you to go as following

1. Lighting , simple pll 4-6 numbers. LEDs will not work until they are of good quality brand.

2. Plant selection, go for easy to grow at least 6 variety 10 to30 each, plant them in groups. You may take inspiration from Scorpios earlier tanks.

3. Ferts, any good brand will do the job. I Would not suggest for experiment in this big tank.

Rest are quite common.
Co 2?
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
jaigu
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by jaigu »

Thanks partha!
nitin28
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nitin28 »

SCORPIO wrote:I used a homeopathy medicine as plant booster. Results are satisfactory. At present I am out of station with family. After coming back, I will share my experiance. I know one more aquarist who used homeopathy medicine with aquatic plants.
Nice topic. Keep it up.
hello sir, which homeopathy medicine u use as plant booster
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I used Silicea 6X with plants. Still under test, so I would advice, please do not use in fish tank.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda