Cloudy Water

Forum for discuss on various water parameters.
aawnaik
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Cloudy Water

Unread post by aawnaik »

The water in my planted tank has truned out very cloudy all of a sudden. I have done 3-4 water changes in the last one week but not making any difference. Any suggestions please.
Amit Naik
[background=][/background]
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cloudy Water

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Clody water in a established tank due to bacteria bloom. I suppose the biological media of your filtration system has been interrupted. Now do not make big water change. Change water in low quantity for 3-4 days.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Get an air driven sponge filter, it clears up cloudy bacteria blooms or dissolved substrate or anything like that in hours. u can use it temporarily or permanently, but remember, it causes loss of C02 in long run.

See these pics, u can choose any model. cheapest ones start from a 100 bucks. They are amazing biological filters that are not sold as much as they should be, maybe becuase being so simple, they do not allow dealers to make big margins.

https://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&s ... aiIfCYhDkQ
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Romi wrote:Get an air driven sponge filter, it clears up cloudy bacteria blooms or dissolved substrate or anything like that in hours. u can use it temporarily or permanently, but remember, it causes loss of C02 in long run.

See these pics, u can choose any model. cheapest ones start from a 100 bucks. They are amazing biological filters that are not sold as much as they should be, maybe becuase being so simple, they do not allow dealers to make big margins.

https://www.google.co.in/search?hl=en&s ... aiIfCYhDkQ
you can also make a simple DIY Hamburg Matten filter using a simple power head sponge.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Vishaal, can you show Aavnaik a photo of your DIY filter? It wil help him a lot.

As far as i know, Hamburg Matten filters use these thick sheet sponges, not hollow sponge cylinders. The sponge sheet curves and separates a portion of the tank from the rest, or divides the tank neatly into a smaller portion (whre the powerhead is placed) and a larger portion (where the plants and fish are). The powerhead throws the water out from one side of the sponge to the other. This creates a suction and the water passes from one side of the sponge to the other to equalise the pressure, thereby filtering the water. It is difficult to find a hollow sponge so large that you can put a powerhead inside it. Have you seen it avaialble anywhere? I did see our globetrotting Bappa who got the sponge from Germany, not very economical for us more us infrequent flyers ;)

Maybe we need a good thread on the Hamburg Matten Filter. Not sure if we have enough people who are into DIY on this site :cry: We could try and source the sponge from somewhere locally, that would be cool.
VishaalDalal

Romi wrote:Vishaal, can you show Aavnaik a photo of your DIY filter? It wil help him a lot.

As far as i know, Hamburg Matten filters use these thick sheet sponges, not hollow sponge cylinders. The sponge sheet curves and separates a portion of the tank from the rest, or divides the tank neatly into a smaller portion (whre the powerhead is placed) and a larger portion (where the plants and fish are). The powerhead throws the water out from one side of the sponge to the other. This creates a suction and the water passes from one side of the sponge to the other to equalise the pressure, thereby filtering the water. It is difficult to find a hollow sponge so large that you can put a powerhead inside it. Have you seen it avaialble anywhere? I did see our globetrotting Bappa who got the sponge from Germany, not very economical for us more us infrequent flyers ;)

Maybe we need a good thread on the Hamburg Matten Filter. Not sure if we have enough people who are into DIY on this site :cry: We could try and source the sponge from somewhere locally, that would be cool.
I got the Idea from Bappa when I saw these new filter types that he got from Germany, you dont require a powerhead only an air pump also I run 2 of these on one pump.

will post the photos when I get back home also it cost me approx 200 each to make the filter. and its working beautifully
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

@vishaal

I am counting the hours before you actually do that. Let me see if it doesn't take a week :twisted: :( The threadmaker might use it instead of getting a new sponge filter.
VishaalDalal

ok here are the photos
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Principal behind this is like a skimmer. :cnf
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

whether power head or air pump...this is just for moving the water.
power heads are good for big tanks, air pumps good for smaller tanks and shrimp tanks.

but as romi correctly pointed out: the core unit of a HMF (Hamburg Mat Filter) is a big sponge sheet...this is where the biological filtration happens.
i am a big big fan of hmf and have used it ever since, its best for biological filtration, and very cheap, and planted with moss it even looks cool.
but those filter mats are not available in delhi.

we are talking about something like this:
http://www.amazon.de/Filterschaum-Filte ... 776&sr=8-2

it can be run for 1-2 years without maintenance/cleaning...in a not-over-populated tank.
it is suitable for small-1000l tanks

one more thing: the pixs above show a "tschechischer Luftheber"...it is an improved version of pumping water by air...originated from the czech republic...very good in combination with a HMF....plenty of info about it in the net...