water change strategy for summers

Forum for discuss on various water parameters.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: water change strategy for summers

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

deepesh wrote:My planted tank with a cfl inside would reach 31 32 Celsius. That is why I am looking for a new hood - to fit in a fan or two and to paint the inside completely white. And it will have to come in to the AC room this year.

The other tank is fish only so with shorter photoperiod and dim lighting it would be 28 30 Celsius.

Outside temps reach the same as in Delhi, about 40 44 Celsius although last year was mercifully much better than previous years. Inside temps are 33 35.

I keep the hoods slightly open all the time. I have openings just above the lights so although there is some light lost, maybe 10% or so, the hot air from the cfl rises out of the tank straightaway and draws fresh air into the tank. That's the theory at least.
Hey the theory and practical is totally correct
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Ok Deepesh and Sukhi, some designs
1. http://www.clearseal.com/hoods_wooden.htm in this have 2 small holes on the top part for hot air to move out (that is where the tubes will fit and on the slope u can get 3 holes for fans with the fans attached you will have a permanent air circulation.
2. http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/sh ... ium-canopy
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

aquascapist wrote:Hi guys,
With summers approaching fast, how is everyone planning to keep up with the water changes especially with hot water in pipes and cold water in tanks. I'm worried about the temperature difference between the two.
i change the water in summer time always in the morning, not later than 7:30 am. the fresh water is not too hot then.
usually i change 50% weekly, in summer 30% only.

but depending on your setup, you actually don't have to change your water.
there are many hobbyists who NEVER change their water...in matured,planted, not over crowded low-tech setups.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

My water changes are as usual and remain same throughout the year. Well may be due to Nashik climate. Temperature of tanks reached 32C but for 100gal tank i just installed one 6" fan hanging on top and my temperature is now 24-25C. Also for my 15gal tank i just installed one 3" CPU fan and temperature is 24-25C. I run fans 24X7. You may find the fan size smaller when compare to tank volume but they do the trick.
---
Amol
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquascapist »

Perhaps multiple changes of smaller quantity would be much more stable i think. The problem's going to be in May when tank temp will be around 25 deg. but water from pipes will be substantially higher. Early morning changes may also be the key as suggested. I could store the water in buckets overnight but with a 90 gallon tank, that seems impractical and backbreaking.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Thank you Vishaal for those links. The sloping canopy design is what we are trying for. The modifications for air circulation are great.

I must add that larger diameter fans move more air at lower rams and are preferred by overclockers.

@ shergill00
Sukhbir the early morning water is cool even in the summers, an advantage of being supplied by the neelo canal that brings Himalayan meltwater. Have you seen the canal at sirhind? The water is cold even in peak summer and blue, really blue. Be careful of the chlorine content sometime it spikes high for 2 or 3 days.
Last edited by deepesh on Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

I try to keep filled as maximum as possible, water level near to fan.
Two big fans for 2ftr, small CPUs for picos
50% WC weekly without any fail
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

deepesh wrote: @ shergill00
Sukhbir the early morning water is cool even in the summers, an advantage of being supplied by the neelo canal that brings Himalayan meltwater. Have you seen the canal at sirhind? The water is cold even in peak summer and blue, really blue. Be careful of the chlorine content sometime it spikes high for 2 or 3 days.

Its Sukhdeep. :o Yes seen that but i know canal waters are always cold even in hot summers, as a kid used to take dip in it at my village during vacations. Tap water is Chandigarh is way colder if you compare with other cities.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

oopsbig :sorry I know it's Sukhdeep, it's just that I am too clumsy for the spell check on the iPad !! :oops:
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

juanico wrote:
aquascapist wrote:Hi guys,
With summers approaching fast, how is everyone planning to keep up with the water changes especially with hot water in pipes and cold water in tanks. I'm worried about the temperature difference between the two.
i change the water in summer time always in the morning, not later than 7:30 am. the fresh water is not too hot then.
usually i change 50% weekly, in summer 30% only.

but depending on your setup, you actually don't have to change your water.
there are many hobbyists who NEVER change their water...in matured,planted, not over crowded low-tech setups.
There was a time when i was fascinated by this concept of no-water-change tanks. Yes, they were usually tanks with a very low bio-load (read few or almost no fish). But thinking it through, and looking at nature (caves where water collects over centuries, and colourless fish live in total darkness are an example), i have concluded that there is actually no real no-water-change habitat in nature.

This is because ..... even water loss by evaporation changes the nature of the water than remains, and even a few drops of rain (or water dripping down a stalactite hanging from a cafe roof) can change the nature of an otherwise stangnant water body inhabited by fish.

So even if u just top off the water, and make no LARGE water changes, the tank is still a water-change tank, and if u are kinder and more worried for your pet's health, do more than just top-offs. Some beginners do the opposite thing, doing so many water changes they cancel out the nitrogen cycle almost. But some are so lazy, their awful secret is, irrespective of tank size, their water changes are effectively nil. Now, my strategy for summers is, not only will my tanks get their usual 30 per cent water change weekly, they will get water changes whenever i have some time in the morning (once a week usually in the summers). More geneous water changes and more cooler fans for the summer ahead for me.