water change strategy for summers

Forum for discuss on various water parameters.
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

water change strategy for summers

Unread post by aquascapist »

Hi guys,
With summers approaching fast, how is everyone planning to keep up with the water changes especially with hot water in pipes and cold water in tanks. I'm worried about the temperature difference between the two.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
vikram
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: water change strategy for summers

Unread post by vikram »

There will be lots of evaporation as well, with fans running .. so daily tops will be required ...
--
Vikram
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Change water in small quantity so that the temperature of pipe water will not make more fluctuations in tank water. Due to evaporation, water level reduce around 2-3 cm in 24 hours. So it is best to remove some more water from the tank and fill.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

vikram wrote:There will be lots of evaporation as well, with fans running .. so daily tops will be required ...
dont top up unless u are using RO water to top up, if you want to know the reason just feel or taste(eugh) the desert cooler water after running for 2-3 days
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

SCORPIO wrote:Change water in small quantity so that the temperature of pipe water will not make more fluctuations in tank water. Due to evaporation, water level reduce around 2-3 cm in 24 hours. So it is best to remove some more water from the tank and fill.
:1
Also try changing water only in the morning or late evening when it's cooler since hot water is deficient of dissolved O2

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk 2
Sushant
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Both Rajiv and Sushant have made excellent points!

A temp drop from water changes killed my Black Ghost Knife some time ago. ... For scaleless fish, water changes in extreme weather (cold or hot) are dangerous.
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquascapist »

nice tips..thanks guys!
Warm Regards,
Aditya
shergill00
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by shergill00 »

Do you guys keep aquariums outside as I have never faced problem of rising temperature in chandigarh. Yes water reduces due to evaporation but I have never topped it everyday. I understand it was always only fish tank so this would be my first season with planted tank. I just take care while water change that there is no major fluctuations in water I am adding. My tank is inside.

@ deepesh, aamir your experience about it.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

shergill00 wrote:Do you guys keep aquariums outside as I have never faced problem of rising temperature in chandigarh. Yes water reduces due to evaporation but I have never topped it everyday. I understand it was always only fish tank so this would be my first season with planted tank. I just take care while water change that there is no major fluctuations in water I am adding. My tank is inside.

@ deepesh, aamir your experience about it.
Most if us like you have our tanks inside the room, but in order to lower tanks temp use fans. And that results in massive loss in water through evaporation.

Sent from my PadFone using Tapatalk 2
Sushant
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

My planted tank with a cfl inside would reach 31 32 Celsius. That is why I am looking for a new hood - to fit in a fan or two and to paint the inside completely white. And it will have to come in to the AC room this year.

The other tank is fish only so with shorter photoperiod and dim lighting it would be 28 30 Celsius.

Outside temps reach the same as in Delhi, about 40 44 Celsius although last year was mercifully much better than previous years. Inside temps are 33 35.

I keep the hoods slightly open all the time. I have openings just above the lights so although there is some light lost, maybe 10% or so, the hot air from the cfl rises out of the tank straightaway and draws fresh air into the tank. That's the theory at least.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.