Disaster Strikes

Forum for discuss on various water parameters.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Disaster Strikes

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

suddenly after a 25% waterchange my shrimps started acting funny.(its the same source that i have been using since the beginning)
by the evening 1 green was dead,
morning today 2 more one white back and one baboulti.

HELP
the reason is not understood, water temprature 24-26
lot of moss and plants in the tank

now the hidden risks and poisons are what are needed to be known.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Disaster Strikes

Unread post by deepesh »

Chlorine?
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

It did happen with me too, lost entire tank full of shrimps last year. Possible reasons:
1. Chlorine or Ph spike (if you use tap water)
2. If you use RO water (when was the last time your cleaned your RO cylinder? I lost for the same reason mine was not cleaned for months)
3. Rare chance but your never know - Did you accidentally drop your cpu fan in the tank? (Copper is known for killing shrimps and snails)
4. Did anyone try to do some cleaning around the tank using colin, did you apply deo standing near the tank or sprayed baygon for mosquitoes, lizards, cockroachs, etc

For water best thing is, i have started using sodium thiosulphate crystals aka "Hypo". Its the best to treat tap water, i just put 1-2 crystals (depending upon the fresh water quantity) in the tank and pour water directly via pipe. Just make sure fresh water flows over the crystals.
---
Amol
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

this happened to me 3 times in the past 2 years.
it can't be chlorine in my case, because the water is stored on the roof for at least the whole night before i use it for my tanks.
no idea, why. i think the water management by the supplier is rather accidental than systematic...sometimes you get a polluted charge...and unless you have sensitive pets which react to it, you would never know
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

If its tap water then sometimes algal blooms in the reservoir/storage result in stable toxins in the water supply. I don't know if its applicable under usual circumstances.
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Vishaal,

Sorry for the loss -
But here are some thing -
1. Did you filter stopped working for some time?
2. Have you used any kind of insecticide or spray in the room or any chance it got to the shrimp room? - I once all of my entire shrimp stock due to this.
3. Have some one accidentally dropped any kind of copper deposit such as wire, coin into the tank? These things are said it be inert but have seen shrimps reacting crazily when introduced in the water body.
4. Is your filter clean?
5. Before your water change day, by any chance have it rained in your locality - because our municipalities use chlorine in bulk after rain in the normal water supply.

Done act some thing as of now - update the situation in some time and if you see they are acting weirdly again - clean the filter once very well and do a water change with stored water.
VishaalDalal

Abhishek wrote:Vishaal,

Sorry for the loss -
But here are some thing -
1. Did you filter stopped working for some time? nope but it stays off for approx 15 to 20 minutes everytime i do a water change.
2. Have you used any kind of insecticide or spray in the room or any chance it got to the shrimp room? - I once all of my entire shrimp stock due to this. no I am very careful about this as it it is too hot here for any mosquitoes to survive.
3. Have some one accidentally dropped any kind of copper deposit such as wire, coin into the tank? These things are said it be inert but have seen shrimps reacting crazily when introduced in the water body. not that I know of.
4. Is your filter clean? yes I clean this every week (but isn't a clean filter counterproductive)
5. Before your water change day, by any chance have it rained in your locality - because our municipalities use chlorine in bulk after rain in the normal water supply. I store water for at-least 24 hours before I do a change specially for the shrimp tank.

Done act some thing as of now - update the situation in some time and if you see they are acting weirdly again - clean the filter once very well and do a water change with stored water.
Thanks for your input Abhishek I have given my responses to your questions but can we not pinpoint the problem.

Infact Abhi was there when he noticed the issue.
Abhishek

Unread post by Abhishek »

Well its very much tough to pinpoint any issue, too much tough to pinpoint any issues.
What we can do is to zero down to point from many issues.

I am not saying just about HIT or something even a small room fresher or perfume can be dangerous.
How do you clean filter, what I am referring is just basic cleaning such as rinsing with normal or through the tank water so the bacteria remain intact.
VishaalDalal

Abhishek wrote:Well its very much tough to pinpoint any issue, too much tough to pinpoint any issues.
What we can do is to zero down to point from many issues.

I am not saying just about HIT or something even a small room fresher or perfume can be dangerous.
How do you clean filter, what I am referring is just basic cleaning such as rinsing with normal or through the tank water so the bacteria remain intact.
you are so right, during cleaning I usually take the tank water or sometimes the water that is going to be used to refil the tank or top up.
Abhi

Unread post by Abhi »

Vishaal, there is definetly something wrong with the water, first your fishes went down with bloat, then one of mine and now the reaction of the shrimps. I have finalized the idea of storing water and running a filter with carbon/zeolite/purigen before a water change.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !