Sourcing Sodium Hydroxymethanesulphonate

Forum for discuss on various water parameters.
Hobbylover
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Sourcing Sodium Hydroxymethanesulphonate

Unread post by Hobbylover »

It's been tough time for so many hobbyist & fish keepers in Mumbai dealing with Chloramine issue. Some managed to deal with it but some couldn't & still not. Its fact that HYPO can never remove chlorine & thus we need to relay on different alternative.

While searching when we came to know about -Sodium Hydroxymethaesulphonate; we tried best to find each & every source & even found one exporter...but like his tag of business- He only exports so not so positive response from him.

I'm not sure if hobbyist from other corners also face the same & in that case if you came to know anyone dealing with it pls let me know
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Sourcing Sodium Hydroxymethanesulphonate

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Are you referring to Sodium Hydroxymethanesulfinate ? If yes, then this is an industrial compound used primarily as a bleaching agent. If I remember correctly, BASF makes this compound as part of its leather chemical range. But it must have a trade name, which is what you can use to buy. If you are in Mumbai, please contact the BASF office - its just behind Satyam cinema (opp the Passport office).

Please do read about the compound before using it.
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by juanico »

as far as i know, the best method is to store tap water in a separate pot and keep it moving (pump, or air pump). after 1 day all chlorine is evaporated...no chemicals at all.
after that day it is ready to use for your aquarium
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

juanico wrote:as far as i know, the best method is to store tap water in a separate pot and keep it moving (pump, or air pump). after 1 day all chlorine is evaporated...no chemicals at all.
Using this method since a long. Always changes aquarium water in the morning 6:00am. Water I used in aquarium was filled in storage tank in last evening. Never faced in any problem.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Hobbylover
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Hobbylover »

apuda2010 wrote:Are you referring to Sodium Hydroxymethanesulfinate ? If yes, then this is an industrial compound used primarily as a bleaching agent. If I remember correctly, BASF makes this compound as part of its leather chemical range. But it must have a trade name, which is what you can use to buy. If you are in Mumbai, please contact the BASF office - its just behind Satyam cinema (opp the Passport office).

Please do read about the compound before using it.
No, its Hydroxymethanesulphonate

Read more info-http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Water_conditioners
juanico wrote:after 1 day all chlorine is evaporated...no chemicals at all.
dear its about chloramine unlike chlorine you can't remove by storing water
SCORPIO wrote:
juanico wrote:as far as i know, the best method is to store tap water in a separate pot and keep it moving (pump, or air pump). after 1 day all chlorine is evaporated...no chemicals at all.
Using this method since a long. Always changes aquarium water in the morning 6:00am. Water I used in aquarium was filled in storage tank in last evening. Never faced in any problem.
May be Delhi Municipality not adding chloramine but in Mumbai it does. Well chloramine has its own advantage but it certainly produce big issues for fish keepers.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Delhi Municipal Corporation adds chlorine in water.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
superbsite
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by superbsite »

@SHRI

Did you source it ?

Topic was covered here
http://aquapetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1406
You can collect Walter/Micro/Beer/Grindals/ - Worm Cultures and plant cuttings from my tanks after I've pruned. +919833462069
All this for Free for Hobbyists.