how to remove silicates, nitrates from aquarium water?

Forum for discuss on various water parameters.
bobvin
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

how to remove silicates, nitrates from aquarium water?

Unread post by bobvin »

algae develops in aquarium due to silicates, nitrates in aquarium. h.ow can I remove these elements from water? I read some resins can use to remove nitrates.
Ashok
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: how to remove silicates, nitrates from aquarium water?

Unread post by Ashok »

Can you explain all about the set up??
Ashok
bobvin
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by bobvin »

this is a freshwater aquarium
Ashok
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Ashok »

bobvin wrote:this is a freshwater aquarium
bobvin you can use media/resin but these will cost you a lot in long term, i will suggest you to resolve the route cause of silicate, for nitrate change water frequently and control on feeding your fish, also remove the left over food from tank after feeding.
Ashok
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

Ashok wrote:
bobvin wrote:this is a freshwater aquarium
bobvin you can use media/resin but these will cost you a lot in long term, i will suggest you to resolve the route cause of silicate, for nitrate change water frequently and control on feeding your fish, also remove the left over food from tank after feeding.
:1 :1

instead of buying Zeolites and resins, simple water changes and correct feeding of fish is advisable, if pursued with careful observation of effects over time.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Sometimes silicates etc already present in tape water. Now what can we do? So I think resin or any other material we need to absorb silicates.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

I think we need to understand that if we continue removing everything from the water and start using distilled de-ionised water, all plants and fish will eventually die.

Its funny but true. Hobbyists make so much effort on treating an algae , that sometimes we forget that algae is an essential part of water itself !!

Are you fighting an algae outbreak ? Is your tank cycled ? Do you keep adding plants from different sources carrying various strains of algae every month ? Do you have good quality filtration ? Is your tap water full of nutrients (like in Kolkata for example) ? Do you have excessive lighting ? Do you love to buy expensive fertilisers and keep adding these as per something you have read on Google ?

Someday, I will write a journal on my battle with algae. It has taken me 2 full years to stabilise the tank and make it free of some resistant forms of algae. The main effort has been behind water quality and stable CO2 in the tank and just about NOTHING else.

Hope no one misunderstands...I dont mean to discourage or hurt anyone's feelings.I also went through exactly the same steps long back :).
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

apuda2010 wrote:I think we need to understand that if we continue removing everything from the water and start using distilled de-ionised water, all plants and fish will eventually die.

Its funny but true. Hobbyists make so much effort on treating an algae , that sometimes we forget that algae is an essential part of water itself !!

Are you fighting an algae outbreak ? Is your tank cycled ? Do you keep adding plants from different sources carrying various strains of algae every month ? Do you have good quality filtration ? Is your tap water full of nutrients (like in Kolkata for example) ? Do you have excessive lighting ? Do you love to buy expensive fertilisers and keep adding these as per something you have read on Google ?

Someday, I will write a journal on my battle with algae. It has taken me 2 full years to stabilise the tank and make it free of some resistant forms of algae. The main effort has been behind water quality and stable CO2 in the tank and just about NOTHING else.

Hope no one misunderstands...I dont mean to discourage or hurt anyone's feelings.I also went through exactly the same steps long back :).

:1

So true! The best anti-algae treatment is 'knowledge', which is gained slowly by experience, friends, and the net ... ;)