How far can glut try killing algae ?

Discuss on Outdoor tanks and ponds.
sunny
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

How far can glut try killing algae ?

Unread post by sunny »

Ok, it has been months I have been using gluteraldehyde in my nano tank (1 ft cube) with a 36w PLL. and the plants are growing pretty fast and healthy, with no signs of algae.. not even diatom.

NOW my question is I have a 2.5ft x 1 ft x 1ft... I am planning to make a nice scape out of it.. But I don't have money to buy more light fixtures or run dem 8-10 hrs daily.. So what I was thinking if I can put my setup tank with plants and everything in direct/shaded with a net sunlight , dosing gluteraldehyde, would it be an issue for the plants ?
as far as I know tanks in sunlight have two major issues - ALGAE and TEMPERATURE. the monsoons are in and the winter is in the way so temperature won't be a problem, atleast for me. The Other problem - Algae..... Will dosing gluteraldehyde be able to combat the algae growing tendencies ????

:cnf

I know tricky question.... Most would say "Go ahead, try it. Trial and error is the best way to learn" BUT I DON"T WANT THAT KIND OF WORDS !! :sorry

Please help me with some info. Or maybe we can have a discussion if you are a gluteraldehyde user too.. congrates

:feedb Waiting for a effective reply, Thanks in advance :thnk
If people take anything from my music, it should be motivation to know that anything is possible as long as you keep working at it and don't back down.

<Eminem>
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How far can glut try killing algae ?

Unread post by SCORPIO »

First of all read this http://aquapetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=102
sunny wrote:NOW my question is I have a 2.5ft x 1 ft x 1ft... I am planning to make a nice scape out of it.. But I don't have money to buy more light fixtures or run dem 8-10 hrs daily.. So what I was thinking if I can put my setup tank with plants and everything in direct/shaded with a net sunlight , dosing gluteraldehyde, would it be an issue for the plants ?
First of all Sunny, update your location. All of the inputs depends on your residing area.

I would never advice you to put your tank in direct sunlight. Install it in shade. Gluteraldehyde is a liquid source of carbon for aquatic plants so it will not an issue for plants.
sunny wrote:ill dosing gluteraldehyde be able to combat the algae growing tendencies ????
It will sure fight to algae. Maintain proper circulation of water and dose properly. You will have a good planted aquarium. At present I am doing some experiments on direct sunlight tank.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sunny
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sunny »

@Scorpio sir my location is kolkata,West bengal.. I've updated it now.

why not place it under direct sunlight ? I don't have fishes in the tank so no worries in that view.

Sir till now what results have you seen ? what problems have you faced or are you forseeing you may face. Can you please share with me. ? I have rebelliously abandoned the idea of pressurized CO2 systems for a nice planted tank.. and plan on a different scheme for this tank. I have been dosing glut for my tanks for around 5-6 months by now and have miraculously good effects, before starting the dosing nearly 6months ago I had checked on to your post http://aquapetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=102
I wasn't a member of aquapetz then, I was more of a lurker to this site for a long time.

Also I wan't to know apart from nutrient mixing how is circulation important to a tank ?
If people take anything from my music, it should be motivation to know that anything is possible as long as you keep working at it and don't back down.

<Eminem>
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

sunny wrote:why not place it under direct sunlight ? I don't have fishes in the tank so no worries in that view.
Direct Sunlight increases the temperature highly. Aquatic plants like the temperature around 25 degree celcius to show good performance.
sunny wrote:Sir till now what results have you seen ? what problems have you faced or are you forseeing you may face. Can you please share with me. ?
Never feel any problem. I had many tanks only on Glut. Some of those are:

sunny wrote:Also I wan't to know apart from nutrient mixing how is circulation important to a tank ?
Water circulation plays an important role in aquarium

1. Prevents the protein film over water surface to maintain gaseous exchange.
2. Current in water adds oxygen in water and kills anaerobic bacteria.
3. Maintains the same temperature all the parts of aquarium.
And more .............
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

sunny
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sunny »

I won't be having fishes or any kind of fauna in my outdoor tank, I wish to temporarily shift my tank outdoor till a carpet area has a lush fast growth then transfer the tank indoor... Wat do suggest for ? any tips or reminders ?

precautions I wud be taking -
1. Maintaing a good flow in the tank
2. covering the whole tank with nets so that direct sunlight does not reach
3. Dosing adequate amount of Glut , k2so4, and other ferts.

what else to care for ? (I don't have fishes now, so no worries in that case)

<Eminem>
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Instead of covering the tank with a net, install a shade around 3-4 foot above the tank.

Rest if ok.

sunny
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sunny »

I notice u have a green film over the side glasses of your tank in 1st pic... Is it blue green algae/Cyanobacteria ? can glut not combat it ?

<Eminem>
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquascapist »

sunny wrote:I notice u have a green film over the side glasses of your tank in 1st pic... Is it blue green algae/Cyanobacteria ? can glut not combat it ?
Not really. From pictures It seems to be green algae, which is normal for most planted tanks. glut does work on cyanobacteria so does hydrogen peroxide as well.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
sunny
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sunny »

aquascapist wrote:
sunny wrote:I notice u have a green film over the side glasses of your tank in 1st pic... Is it blue green algae/Cyanobacteria ? can glut not combat it ?
Not really. From pictures It seems to be green algae, which is normal for most planted tanks. glut does work on cyanobacteria so does hydrogen peroxide as well.

so glut does not work on these type of green algae ?
:shock:

<Eminem>
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquascapist »

why do you need glut for that. This can easily be taken care of with an old credit card..just swipe the tank walls during water change once every 2-3 weeks, takes about 15 minutes or so. :)
Warm Regards,
Aditya