miniature water lilies and bowl lotuses

Discuss on Outdoor tanks and ponds.
discusfav
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

miniature water lilies and bowl lotuses

Unread post by discusfav »

does anyone on the forum have these or know of anybody who stocks them?some images please.
sameer
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: miniature water lilies and bowl lotuses

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Do you need lilies for your Discus tank or for pond? I can arrange some banana lilies from a hobbyist pond for you. In last meet, one guy bring some red lilies to give away in the meet.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

nyphaea Daubenyana is an excellent dwarf. it tailors it size to big or small tanks. it is all over google, sold for tanks as well as ponds.
discusfav
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

rajiv-lilies are for new water container gardens.they are special hybrids with flowers and leaves that are 1-2" in diameter for small container ponds.
romi-thanks,will definitely check it out.any suppliers/hobbyists having them in ncr?
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

i know about nyphaea Daubenyana from western web portals where it is praised highly, not only as a beautiful flower, but also as a low-light tolerant submersed leaf plant in an aquarium. the only person i found in the indian subcontinent who had this lily was in Lahore, i think.

i think, like all imported plants, these lilies are also available at random in plant nurseries, but the process of import is by cargo ship, and a function of many obscure variables. this makes it difficult for even the sellers to be able to say what they will get since they are just one cog in a big wheel.

if u are determined, and have a person in the US who is willing to help, i can tell u a website that sells the real thing. it is an old aquatic plant seller. this lily is popular all across the US and UK, at least. Since few indians can afford spaces in cities, the elite is also cramped, old families that grew up with large gardens and ponds are disappearing, it no longer pays for an entrepreneur to import specific species like dwarf lilies. they would rather sell for ordinary ponds, not miniature ones like yours. But like you, i can see a great use for them. I think there can be a massive future market for them. Small ponds that everyone could have in their front yard, only slightly larger than a large pot, yet full of the staggering beauty of a lotus/lily. Divine...... 8-)
discusfav
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

romi-people all over the world are doing tabletop bowl arrangements with miniature lilies.bowl lotuses are good for apartment balconies,verandas,and patios,driveways and indoors.
i saw a beautiful spotted leopard lily which is viviparous(growing baby plants on leaves) bright green leaves with maroon blotches on it,in mumbai,saw it only twice in two years,bought plantlets both times,didnt survive.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

@discuvfav

The idea you have now, i got around 2 years ago. I was hugely enthusiastic like i suppose you are now, looking at the endless containers that would be suitable, especially terracotta since that is so uniquely ethnic Indian. But NCR does not have that critical mass of like-minded people who have the background in love for plants and eaesthetics to form a customer base. This is important for plant sellers who offer dwarf lilies for sale. Maybe i don't have such people in my circle now, but if i can reach out better, we could order from abroad or get a friend returning to bring us a few lily bulbs, i would be glad to pay my share...

When i was a kid, cousins sisters of mine and i used to sit around a dining table, wondering how good a small lotus would look growing in my Nani's large serving dish, bang in the middle of the table. ha ha. Kids can be precocious... but they were in college then, i think. I used to think, we could give it all the light it would need with a table lamp! :P That cousin is no more, bless you Indu didi. I am no closer to finding that dwarf lily now than i was then.... sigh.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I am also interested in such type of miniature flowering lilies.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by mats »

Hi guys
The same are available with a nursery somewhere near nainital. Will give the details soon. And if anyone is interested I think I can give one bulb to the anyone who wishes to pick it from my house for free.
Regards to all
Kuldip
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

now i have one more reason for meeting up, kuldeep!

lilies need good light and a fertile substrate. u can use ordinary manure. please keep them going till u hand a plant over :)