Ideas for a change in setup

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Ideas for a change in setup

Unread post by deepesh »

My current setup consists of two tanks, a 30 by 18 by 18 that houses a trio of juvenile T. leeri, a two inch fantail goldfish and a small male variatus platy and the other tank is a 15 by 15 by 12 that houses four variatus platies and a few crypts.

I am looking to convert to a natural planted setup. I want to have a main tank about 30 by 15 by 15. Below on the same stand I want two tanks of 15 by 15 by 12 - one as a quarantine/ hospital and the other as a support tank to grow out plants and basically a jack of all trades.
I also want to retain the current 15 by 15 by 12 as a green water/ live food tank.

I expect the large tank to weigh about 125 kg and the smaller ones to weigh 60 - 65 kg the total coming to about 250 kg.

What thickness glass should I go for? I also need ideas for the stand. I have about 6 months to do the change.

I am looking for inputs and ideas how to go about all this and to improve it if possible.

Deepesh
News from The North Indian barbecue is...
Browning outside, softening inside.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ideas for a change in setup

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Go for a 8 mm glass to make tank.

I have an iron rack of 1 inch wide iron angle and keeping two tanks of 90 X 45 X 45 tanks.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

I asked a LFS. Was quoted 1500 for 30 by 15 by 15 and only 6 mm glass was available with ground edges. He claimed it would be more than enough for 15 inch depth.

Also I asked about an iron stand and was quoted about 1000.

All ok?

deepesh
zico_aqua
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by zico_aqua »

price wise it's okay..just get a 8mm base glass and you are good to go..better to be safe than sorry..:)
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

deepesh wrote:I asked a LFS. Was quoted 1500 for 30 by 15 by 15 and only 6 mm glass was available with ground edges. He claimed it would be more than enough for 15 inch depth.

Also I asked about an iron stand and was quoted about 1000.

All ok?

deepesh
Deepesh Ji, for stand visit on a welding shop and order him for stand as you want for best result and price.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Ok then a visit to the welders is next on the to-do list. I am thinking of going with the square section iron rods for the frame. I want three shelves. The top for the tank. About 6 - 8 inches below that another shelf for keeping knick knacks and then about 8 inches off the floor another shelf for two small tanks.

How does that sound?

deepesh
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

I have had a change of design for the stand.

I thought that 6 - 8 inches off the floor is too low especially for siphoning water during maintenance and i want one of the smaller tanks to be the quarantine/ hospital tank so that one might need quite a lot of water changes.

So the top shelf is at 36 inches - a bit on the higher side I think. My previous stand was at 30 inches and was perfect of veiwing and maintaining.

The middle shelf is about 15 - 16 inches lower to accommodate two small tanks about 12 inches high. At about 20 inches off the floor this should be barely enough for water changes by siphon - flow however will decrease a lot as the bucket fills up and the tank water level comes down. Otherwise I will have to dip a mug in the tank to take out water.

The lowest shelf is about 8 inches below the middle shelf. Planning to fit this with a plywood drawer to store fish food and stuff.

deepesh
saikumar

Unread post by saikumar »

Hi Deepesh ji,
please buy a long hose pipe. If you're long term keeper, it ll be very handy.
good luck.
deepesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by deepesh »

Good. That hose is one more thing to get.

What about internal filters? What is available? Any Eheims or Fluvals around. NOT planning canister filters.

deepesh