Sophisticated CO2 kit vs DIY CO2 kit using (Yeast and Sugar)

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
npatel
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Sophisticated CO2 kit vs DIY CO2 kit using (Yeast and Sugar)

Unread post by npatel »

Hi Team,

I created a DIY CO2 kit two days ago that produces CO2 using yeast and sugar (followed a video on youtube on this). Just to cut on expenses I have applied this method. Wanted to check from experts how safe this option would be? Is it completely safe for my tank or do I need to keep some measures on this? Does the CO2 generated by (yeast+sugar) is equally good in quality compared to CO2 produced by the sophisticated CO2 Kit or it has some extra substances added that I must take care of?

Thanks,
Nitin Patel
Nitin Patel
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Sophisticated CO2 kit vs DIY CO2 kit using (Yeast and Su

Unread post by aquascapist »

HI Nitin,
As far as the safety aspect goes, be sure to put a good check valve in the co2 pipe going into the tank to prevent any backflow.
CO2 is a gas, which regardless of how it is produced remains chemically same. So your DIY yeast co2 is as good as pressurised. The problem is the inconsistent production of gas which produces fluctuating levels of co2 in your aquarium which may lead to algae issues in the long run.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
npatel
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by npatel »

Thanks a lot Aditya.

I have added an additional bottel filled half with water. The CO2 generated first passes thru the water in this bottel and then it is sent to tank. And in thank I have a nano glass CO2 diffusor that diffuses the CO2 bubble in to many small tiny bubbles. Do I have to worry about the flow rate of the CO2 bubbles? As I think for the first time I have put more yeast than the usual and it is currently generating 2 bubbles per second which I think on a higer not, correct?

Thanks,
Nitin
Nitin Patel
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

HI Nitin,
BPS tells nothing as to how much co2 is in your tank, just how fast it is being injected into your tank. What are your tank dimensions? This will give a fair idea as to the co2 needs. How well planted is your tank? Lighting specs as well. Again the issue will be with the inconsistency of the co2 injected in your tank. What is 2 bps of co2 right now may reduce to 1 in two to three weeks whereupon you will need to change the mix again. A better bet might be to use two separate bottles of DIY co2 connecting both of them to a single line into tank. In this case you can rotate changing their solution.
Also, I would still insist upon using a check valve. Trust me, its not worth the risk.
Warm Regards,
Aditya
npatel
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by npatel »

My tank size is 120x50x40 cm (LxHxW). The tank is almost empty having only 3-4 sets of H. C. Cuba plants in it. I just finished this tank 2-3 days back. It's a new tank. And for lighting, I have installed 3 sets of T5 tubes at 5-6 inch above the water level. Hope this helps.

And also BPS stands for Bubble Per Second.

Suryly I will put a check valve. The idea of having two kits is really good, in this case I can avoide the interruption in CO2 injection, thanks for bringing this.

-Nitin
Nitin Patel
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

With that much light, you should densely plant your tank possibly with some fast growing stem plants till your HC establishes itself or you will be farming algae. HC is a co2 hungry plant so atleast 30ppm of co2 is a must. Invest in a drop checker, so that you will know whether you have enough co2 or not. You could also dose gluteraldehyde along with your co2 setup.

good luck n cheers!!
Warm Regards,
Aditya
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

npatel wrote:Thanks a lot Aditya.

I have added an additional bottel filled half with water. The CO2 generated first passes thru the water in this bottel and then it is sent to tank. And in thank I have a nano glass CO2 diffusor that diffuses the CO2 bubble in to many small tiny bubbles. Do I have to worry about the flow rate of the CO2 bubbles? As I think for the first time I have put more yeast than the usual and it is currently generating 2 bubbles per second which I think on a higer not, correct?

Thanks,
Nitin
glass

you are preparing a potential time bomb, with time the diffuser will choke and then you will have stinky sugar solution,yeast and alcohol mixture all over the house. i would rather suggest you to use a bell diffuser instead.

also DIY Co2 won't suffice for the tank so big as yours and as Aditya has already mentioned that fluctuating level of co2 will result in algal issues.
Sushant
Matrix
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Matrix »

sushant wrote:
npatel wrote:Thanks a lot Aditya.

Thanks,
Nitin
glass

you are preparing a potential time bomb, with time the diffuser will choke and then you will have stinky sugar solution,yeast and alcohol mixture all over the house. i would rather suggest you to use a bell diffuser instead.

also DIY Co2 won't suffice for the tank so big as yours and as Aditya has already mentioned that fluctuating level of co2 will result in algal issues.
:1
---
Amol