RIP Old Canister

Forum for discuss about various equipments used with freshwater aquariums.
Gautam
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

RIP Old Canister

Unread post by Gautam »

Hi All,

Today my old Eheim Canister died.. there was water everywhere and finally I decided to literally pull the plug! Lasted me about 10 years so no complaints.

Need to immediately buy one. My tank is about 680 Litres and the one recommended to me was the Eheim 2217. It's supposed to be for 600L tanks and can filter 1000Lts/HR. but I feel it's tiny.

Any opinions and advice out there? The Pro 3 series 1200XL is great but sooo expensive.

Thanks!
Gautam Pandey
6X2X2 planted tank (680 Litres)
2 MH x 150W
4 PLL x 36 W
Riversand + Laterite + Soilrite Substrate
Pressurised CO2 2-3 bps
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: RIP Old Canister

Unread post by Romi »

What prices are you being offered ? The eheim 2013 I use was just 4000 bucks in 2008. I think prices vary a lot. ...
ayksyk
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ayksyk »

I don't know the names for the filters but what I read on net says

Always by a filter over and above the capacity of your tank as it will play the most important part for you

The filter should reach all the corners of the tank so my suggestion go for around 1000 L tank filters

Regards
Abhijit K
Gautam
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Gautam »

Romi wrote:What prices are you being offered ? The eheim 2013 I use was just 4000 bucks in 2008. I think prices vary a lot. ...
Hi Romi.. I've been offered the 2217 for Rs 11,260/- and the 1200Xl for basically 40K!
Gautam Pandey
2 MH x 150W
4 PLL x 36 W
Pressurised CO2 2-3 bps
Gautam
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Gautam »

ayksyk wrote:I don't know the names for the filters but what I read on net says

Always by a filter over and above the capacity of your tank as it will play the most important part for you

The filter should reach all the corners of the tank so my suggestion go for around 1000 L tank filters

Regards
Abhijit K
Yup.. thats sound advice for sure. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and shell out for a bigger filter
Gautam Pandey
2 MH x 150W
4 PLL x 36 W
Pressurised CO2 2-3 bps
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Hi Gautam,

Tried calling you today morning. The prices quoted for the Eheims are way too high. For your tank, what you need is two canisters - either two 2217s or one Pro3 and one 2217. Will keep the water crystal clear.

Call me once you are free, will connect you to the most reliable suppliers.
gauravgupta
Panel Members
Panel Members

Unread post by gauravgupta »

You can check out Dophin 1600.. soundless and effective.. even small in size...
Hands That Serve are Holier Than Lips That Pray!!
ayksyk
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ayksyk »

Ehiem at one time was the best filter maker and the quality seems on the higher side compared to all others.
I would advise not to spend too much on Ehiem and go for Tetra or JBL although the pump water speed is slightly on the slower side however the best way to do is you can use two filters rather than having one single filter.
I myself use Tetra Power 1200X and a small sponge Chinese filter and found the results amazing
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

I also think two smaller filters make a lot of sense. that way, even if one brand fails you will have the second working till you fix the first one. Sort of like having two heaters going instead of a single big one (and we all know it is a great idea)...

Two filters could also be placed strategically, one on either end. This would circulate the water even better than a single filter...

40 k for a filter, Eheim or not, sounds ridiculous, even hilarious. ... that kind of thing might be the budget for the cleaning of an infinity pool in a resthouse by the sea.. :P
Gautam
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Gautam »

Thanks for all the replys guys! :)

With my setup 2 Filter solution might be awkward since my aquarium is closed on one side but open and viewable on three sides

Heres the update though! Somehow have managed to revive my old faithful 2260 and it's back to doing the fantastic job it was doing.. I will however still go in for a single filter and keep it ready just incase it crashes again.

Will check out all the brands mentioned above and interesting how no one mentioned Fluval.. they're marketing quite aggressively now :)
Gautam Pandey
2 MH x 150W
4 PLL x 36 W
Pressurised CO2 2-3 bps