LED Lights for a 2ft. Tank

Post your quires regarding lighting needs in planted aquariums.
rodriguesroyston
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

LED Lights for a 2ft. Tank

Unread post by rodriguesroyston »

Dear All,

I need your help and guidance, I want to setup a NEW 2Ft Tank where I plan to use River Bed Soil with only Moss (Christmas, Java). I wanted to have some help in setting up LED lights for my tank. I am based in Mumbai and if anyone can point me to the location where I could either get the raw materials or final product itself it would be nice.

Regards

Royston
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: LED Lights for a 2ft. Tank

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Royston, welcome to the forum.

Most electronic parts in Mumbai tend to land up in Lamington Road and Grant Road markets. However, you are better off sourcing these from Bhagirath Place in Delhi , which is the source of these parts pan India.

To know where to source, you will also need to know what to source.

High power LED drivers are difficult to procure (atleast the good quality ones). Low power ones are very easy to procure. Heatsinks (if you wish to go for anything more than 1W) are available easily at Lamington Road. Alternately, the Vapi Valsad belt has a lot of units manufacturing extruded aluminium products. Ping some of them, there are kind souls who reply to hobbyists !!

For the LEDs, I leave it some of my fellow hobbyists on the forum to guide you...make,price,build,wattage etc.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

rodriguesroyston wrote:Dear All,

I need your help and guidance, I want to setup a NEW 2Ft Tank where I plan to use River Bed Soil with only Moss (Christmas, Java). I wanted to have some help in setting up LED lights for my tank. I am based in Mumbai and if anyone can point me to the location where I could either get the raw materials or final product itself it would be nice.

Regards

Royston
Ahh, Royston, you have back in action. Joyce is the best person who is guiding you in LED.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

apuda2010 wrote:Royston, welcome to the forum.

Most electronic parts in Mumbai tend to land up in Lamington Road and Grant Road markets. However, you are better off sourcing these from Bhagirath Place in Delhi , which is the source of these parts pan India.

To know where to source, you will also need to know what to source.

High power LED drivers are difficult to procure (atleast the good quality ones). Low power ones are very easy to procure. Heatsinks (if you wish to go for anything more than 1W) are available easily at Lamington Road. Alternately, the Vapi Valsad belt has a lot of units manufacturing extruded aluminium products. Ping some of them, there are kind souls who reply to hobbyists !!

For the LEDs, I leave it some of my fellow hobbyists on the forum to guide you...make,price,build,wattage etc.
:1 good driver are the hardest to get
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
rodriguesroyston
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rodriguesroyston »

Thanks Abhi for your kind advice.

Hey Rajiv...yes I'm back..could not remain outside of the hobby for a long time mate.

Regards

Royston
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi Royston,

You can get Deltatec or Kodak Liteon drivers which can be used to drive 60W. Their ouput ratings are 36V/2100ma, so lets say you are using 700ma 3W leds then these can drive 10 series x 3 rows. The cost of these drivers are around the Rs 1000+ mark. If you can source meanwell drivers then they are the best you can get but quiet an expensive affair if budget is a constraint.

LEDs you can get many options, Like Edison 3W rated at 700ma, APC same ratings as edison, Seoul same ratings as edison better lumens, Harvatek has a Cree chip rated at 1A. Star pcbs should cost you 1 or 2 rs and Heatsinks of good quality can cost Rs 60 - 150 each. Also always ensure you use some good quality exhaust fans to drain the heat off the LEDs. If you want a dimmer you can build one using a 10K potentiometer 1W or 2W with a 5V 200ma external power adaptor, a Mosfet and Transistor or if you like more jazz can use a PWM based NE555 or Audrino board instead of the 5V200ma adaptor. You also get higher wattage LEDs like 5W ,10W , 20W, 50W and 100W however you will need extremely good quality heatsinks and drivers to run these without ruining them. Cost is high too of these.

Can provide you all of these.
khamba
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by khamba »

nash81 wrote:Hi Royston,

You can get Deltatec or Kodak Liteon drivers which can be used to drive 60W. Their ouput ratings are 36V/2100ma, so lets say you are using 700ma 3W leds then these can drive 10 series x 3 rows. The cost of these drivers are around the Rs 1000+ mark. If you can source meanwell drivers then they are the best you can get but quiet an expensive affair if budget is a constraint.

LEDs you can get many options, Like Edison 3W rated at 700ma, APC same ratings as edison, Seoul same ratings as edison better lumens, Harvatek has a Cree chip rated at 1A. Star pcbs should cost you 1 or 2 rs and Heatsinks of good quality can cost Rs 60 - 150 each. Also always ensure you use some good quality exhaust fans to drain the heat off the LEDs. If you want a dimmer you can build one using a 10K potentiometer 1W or 2W with a 5V 200ma external power adaptor, a Mosfet and Transistor or if you like more jazz can use a PWM based NE555 or Audrino board instead of the 5V200ma adaptor. You also get higher wattage LEDs like 5W ,10W , 20W, 50W and 100W however you will need extremely good quality heatsinks and drivers to run these without ruining them. Cost is high too of these.

Can provide you all of these.
Pls pm me your number
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by mats »

Is not bhagirath place a good source for these ?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

mats wrote:Is not bhagirath place a good source for these ?
Most of LEDs available in Bhagirat Place are China made and their performance is not good.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda