Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Post your quires regarding lighting needs in planted aquariums.
User avatar
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:44 am
Location: Secunderabad(far from REZ)

Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby saikumar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:16 am

How will you fit 40W on a 2.5ft tank? :) you ll need to pick something smaller in size.



User avatar
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Posts: 577
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:49 am
Location: Delhi

Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby Naufil » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:35 pm

true. i think i saw 40 watt in compact size, not sure though. Otherwise I will have to get done a DIY overhanging hood. I can also place a small sump tank in the extra space....just ideas that keep floating in my head :)
but will the tubelight work for medium to low light plants? if it does, it will prove much cheaper than expensive LEDs. I guess 40 watt tube @ 8-10 hrs per day should cost not more than 150-200 rupees per month. Thanks for replying saikumar :)

User avatar
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:44 am
Location: Secunderabad(far from REZ)

Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby saikumar » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:55 pm

Personally im not a big fan of sump planted. Instead having two 2ft tanks side by side will be better by looks and maintenance.
40W will give decent intensity if ur tank height is 1'. Anyway aim for 3W/gal for better results.

User avatar
sushant
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2886
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Faridabad, Haryana
Contact:

Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby sushant » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:59 pm

Naufil wrote:I guess 40 watt tube @ 8-10 hrs per day should cost not more than 150-200 rupees per month.


@ Rs.5/unit,this will cost you Rs.60 per month
Sushant

User avatar
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Posts: 577
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:49 am
Location: Delhi

Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby Naufil » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:07 pm

saikumar wrote:Personally im not a big fan of sump planted. Instead having two 2ft tanks side by side will be better by looks and maintenance.
40W will give decent intensity if ur tank height is 1'. Anyway aim for 3W/gal for better results.

yes, nice idea indeed. more tanks also means more fish which is good. My stand is tank size, but it can be broadened with some welding work. good. thanks.

sushant wrote:
Naufil wrote:I guess 40 watt tube @ 8-10 hrs per day should cost not more than 150-200 rupees per month.


@ Rs.5/unit,this will cost you Rs.60 per month


Thats even better. Thanks for replying Sushant bhai :)

hirakjyoti
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:10 pm

Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby hirakjyoti » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:18 pm

Sir,
I made a mistake,i made my aquarium size 3ft*2ft*2ft.I want to make it a plant aquarium.In that case lightning arrangement calculation procedure what you describe earlyer,may be same or not?in that case should i consider water temperature increase for light arrangement and should i add cooling system?pl guide me.

User avatar
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10353
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am
Location: Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby SCORPIO » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:28 pm

hirakjyoti wrote:Sir,
I made a mistake,i made my aquarium size 3ft*2ft*2ft.I want to make it a plant aquarium.In that case lightning arrangement calculation procedure what you describe earlyer,may be same or not?in that case should i consider water temperature increase for light arrangement and should i add cooling system?pl guide me.


Please start a seperate topic for your questions.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda

User avatar
gauravgupta
Panel Members
Panel Members
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:59 pm
Location: Karnal - Haryana
Contact:

Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby gauravgupta » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:26 am

Right now My Tank size is 42 x 18 = 756 with 4 PLL Lights that mean tank requirement is above 15000 and present it is 9600 as per calculation.

I want to replace it with 3 x 16 watt LED flood light with 6500 Kelvin each. Is that good enough for tank?
Hands That Serve are Holier Than Lips That Pray!!

User avatar
sushant
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2886
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Faridabad, Haryana
Contact:

Re: RE: Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby sushant » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:51 pm

gauravgupta wrote:Right now My Tank size is 42 x 18 = 756 with 4 PLL Lights that mean tank requirement is above 15000 and present it is 9600 as per calculation.

I want to replace it with 3 x 16 watt LED flood light with 6500 Kelvin each. Is that good enough for tank?

Going by Rapidled's calculator for plants tanks you will need tanks footprint divided by 25 i.e 48x18/25= 34.56 Led. ( Their calculation is based on Cree Led ). For Led's like edison, exiled I guess you will require twice that number.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Sushant

User avatar
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Posts: 974
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:44 am
Location: Secunderabad(far from REZ)

Re: RE: Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread postby saikumar » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:58 pm

sushant wrote:
gauravgupta wrote:Right now My Tank size is 42 x 18 = 756 with 4 PLL Lights that mean tank requirement is above 15000 and present it is 9600 as per calculation.

I want to replace it with 3 x 16 watt LED flood light with 6500 Kelvin each. Is that good enough for tank?

Going by Rapidled's calculator for plants tanks you will need tanks footprint divided by 25 i.e 48x18/25= 34.56 Led. ( Their calculation is based on Cree Led ). For Led's like edison, exiled I guess you will require twice that number.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk


does the formula assume any height? 1feet 3feet etc