Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Post your quires regarding lighting needs in planted aquariums.
manojvaz
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Lighting in Planted Aquariums.

Unread post by manojvaz »

sushant wrote:
syed.ali wrote:
sushant wrote:Normal aluminium tape or foil will work as a diffuser rather than a reflector. Instead using white paint will give you better results.
?? i didnt quit get the logic, how come plain aluminium foil act as s diffuser and not work better than white paint. Please ellborate
this is due to the irregular surface of the unfinished sheet. the reflector need to have a very smooth and even surface which is not the case with the sheet we are talking about. here is a reference, probably this will clear your doubts http://www.anomet.com/reflective_aluminum.html
here is another link http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beg ... guide.html
just found on random search 666

Hi Sushant, are we as members allowed to point to articles on other forums? To my knowledge we are not to provide references to discussions on other forums. I was told this by a member of a different forum in which i am a member too.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

manojvaz wrote:
sushant wrote:
syed.ali wrote:
sushant wrote:Normal aluminium tape or foil will work as a diffuser rather than a reflector. Instead using white paint will give you better results.
?? i didnt quit get the logic, how come plain aluminium foil act as s diffuser and not work better than white paint. Please ellborate
this is due to the irregular surface of the unfinished sheet. the reflector need to have a very smooth and even surface which is not the case with the sheet we are talking about. here is a reference, probably this will clear your doubts http://www.anomet.com/reflective_aluminum.html
here is another link http://forum.grasscity.com/absolute-beg ... guide.html
just found on random search 666

Hi Sushant, are we as members allowed to point to articles on other forums? To my knowledge we are not to provide references to discussions on other forums. I was told this by a member of a different forum in which i am a member too.

the aim of this forum is knowledge sharing and overall improvement of this hobby, so if the references are relevant then the links can surely be used. however direct copying of someone's idea or post on other forums(if they don't belong to you) is not allowed.
Sushant
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Manojvij, we are not allergic to any fish/aquarium forum. Our motive is only to improve the hobby. You can post links but not the copied data as Sushant told.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sunny
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sunny »

Awsum ! But wat about d height of tank ?
If people take anything from my music, it should be motivation to know that anything is possible as long as you keep working at it and don't back down.

<Eminem>
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

manojvaz wrote:Hey there, I am a new bee to this forum. I just went through the post put up and it rang a bell. I was like surg . This is what I got to know reading various articles on lighting requirement for planted tank.

Plants require red and blue light of the visible spectrum for photosynthesis. They reflect most other lights. Red light is of shorter wavelenght and hence is lost. Blue light are of higher wavelength and penetrate deeper into the water. The watts per gallon is a myth. Now then what lighting would you want to choose for? There are range of lightings from CFLs to LEDs to the old T8, T12, MH, HPS etc. One common thing to all these is that they all have a kelvin rating. The temperature of light color is measured in kelvin. The CFL's color temperature is 6500K, which is close to the color of Sun's light on a very clear mid noon. A minimum of 6500K is good. The watt rating on bulb is a measure of the energy it consumes and higher watt means more bright light. But remember, a 45 watt spiral/tubular CFL wouldn't give any more than 6500K and similarly a 5W spiral/tubular wouldn't give any higher than 6500K. I checked all the CFLs in the market and they all have 6500K. From 5W to 45W. A higher Kelvin would be required in case the depth of the tank is more than 20 inches. My tank has slot for two bulbs, one at left and one at right. I put a 20W spiral CFL in one slot and boy the water heated up quickly(the other slot was empty). I have a 22*9*13 inch tank. Imagine if I had put another 20W. For instance, If i were to have two 20W or any watt rating CFLs for that matter (they all are of the same kelvin rating 6500K mind you), it wouldn't be 13000K. I returned the 20W CFL and am to put up two 5W tubular CFL. The difference between tubular and spiral is in the light intensity measured in lumens. During winters we would alway require a heater and defenitely not rely on the energy from the bulb. Am not sure if you guys are doing well with bulbs of 20W. Isn't that raising the water temperature? We may have to keep the water temperature at the optimum for the fishes we have as each's requirement is different.

You may have stumbled across the terms PAR and PUR. They are Photosynthetically Active/Used Radiation respectively. These only apply to lighting stats in aquarium. We would not be able to find this on any bulb. PAR is a measure of the spectral length of the visible light ranging from 400nm to 700nm, nm is nanometer. PUR is the useful light of that spectrum that plants require which is 440nm to 490nm. Blue light falls within this.

I welcome all/any correction on this. Thank you!

Manoj Vaz
Heat is the reason most people prefer to stay away from CFLs or MH etc. Best option as of now I have found are T5s better efficiency too in terms of light being produced. LEDs are a good option but the cheap ones have not given me any good result while expensive like CREE well am yet to burn a hole that big :roll
During Winters I have used a 150 watt MH with excellent plant growth, but in our Northern summers it would boil the water easily.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Abhi wrote:Heat is the reason most people prefer to stay away from CFLs or MH etc. Best option as of now I have found are T5s better efficiency too in terms of light being produced. LEDs are a good option but the cheap ones have not given me any good result while expensive like CREE well am yet to burn a hole that big
During Winters I have used a 150 watt MH with excellent plant growth, but in our Northern summers it would boil the water easily.
:1 After using many types of lighting equipments, I also prefer T5s.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
manojvaz
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by manojvaz »

sunny wrote:Awsum ! But wat about d height of tank ?
Sunny, 6500K should do well until 20 inch. I haven't experimented though. Beyond that, K should be higher for penetration. T5 or T8 or T12 offer the same 6500K. Yes, as said by Abhi and Rajiv T5 is energy efficient consuming lesser energy over T8 or T12. 5, 8 and 12 represent the diameter of the tube.T5 has roughly 3/4 of an inch, T8 has approx 1 inch diameter and T12 1.5 inch. Generally the more narrow the lamp, the more efficient it will be consuming lesser energy. Hope this helps
Bond_007
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Bond_007 »

@manojvaz,I dont think K plays any role in peneteration.Lumen does.K is merely the colour temperature of bulb,higher k means blue colour increases and low k means warm colour.
Regards,
Raj
ayksyk
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ayksyk »

One thing I read about lights is how much can the light penetrate the water and is it abundant enough.
You can check if someone has par meter and you can check the calculations.

Found ADA guys carrying at our local shop where they did set a Planted Tank
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

are home use tubelights the same as t12?
Is a 40 watt home use tubelight good enough for a 2.5 feet tank?