Need advice on using LEDs.

Post your quires regarding lighting needs in planted aquariums.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Need advice on using LEDs.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Hi Guys, In coming days, I want to use LEDs (5watt/10watt) in following of my Aquariums:

Tank 01: 90 X 45 X 45 cm : High light setup : At present using 21 watt X 5 T5 tubes. I am satisfied with the result.

Tank 02: 90 X 45 X 45 cm : Medium light setup : At present using 36 watt X 2 PLLs. Satisfied with result.

Tank 03: 70 X 40 X 40 cm : Very High light setup : Using 36 watt X 2 PLL + 14 watt X 1 T5. Not satisfied with result.

Tank 04: 45 X 30 X 30 cm : High light setup : At present using 36 watt X 1 PLL. Not satisfied with result.

I want answers of following questions:

1. Which LEDs are best for these setups? I want to use 5watt or 10watt LEDs.

2. Which LEDs are durable and most efficient? I want to invest in the best.

3. Which driver is the best?

4. I want to install these in the Acrylic hoods. Is there any chance of melting the acrylic hood due to heat of LEDs.

I thought the explanation of all the above questions will also help many other aquarists on the forum.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
asheesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Need advice on using LEDs.

Unread post by asheesh »

i am using Edison 3 watt led since last 1.5 years without any issues
Image Image Image
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

asheesh wrote:i am using Edison 3 watt led since last 1.5 years without any issues
Asheesh Ji, How many luminous/watt they produce?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

asheesh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by asheesh »

3w
5000-10000K
115lm
i think cost was around 38, dont remember the exact price

i am in the process of DIY new light system using the same LEDs
Image Image Image
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

asheesh wrote:i think cost was around 38, dont remember the exact price
Just only 38 Rs. per LED. surg

GauravSingh
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by GauravSingh »

Using CREE XT E and XP E with Meanwell drivers for the last couple of months. I am quite satisfied with the result.

If you want to invest in the best then I would suggest to go with CREE XM L2 or you can settle for XT E. For drivers you can go for Inventronics or meanwell (dimmable/ non dimmable).

You will have to install the LEDs on an aluminium heat sink or channel. Acrylic can be used as a splash guard and enclosure.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

GauravSingh wrote:Using CREE XT E and XP E with Meanwell drivers for the last couple of months. I am quite satisfied with the result.

If you want to invest in the best then I would suggest to go with CREE XM L2 or you can settle for XT E. For drivers you can go for Inventronics or meanwell (dimmable/ non dimmable).

You will have to install the LEDs on an aluminium heat sink or channel. Acrylic can be used as a splash guard and enclosure.
Dont want 3 watt LEDs.
How many lumens they produce?
Plz also let me know the required number of LEDs for each setup.

GauravSingh
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by GauravSingh »

XM l2 are 10w LEDs. You will have to run them at their max rated current of 3000ma.

Please see the spec sheet.

http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXM-L.pdf
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by syed.ali »

Tawain made 10 watt LED you will get for 270 a piece, those are the one which Wojtek took with him to germany, about 10 of them. You get there local driver for 130-140 buck. They are good. They dont come with specs. But i have being 1 for a long time now. Its good. My phone is out for repair, else i would have posted the pics.

Edison is great option, i have being using them for more than 2 yrs now, but i have had some burn out and that can be attribute to my using thermal tape and super glue to stick them together, In summer they would get detached from base and result in heating up of LED.

Gurjap has being using LED also for more than a yr now, you can ask him also, his tank height was more than 2 ft and 3 watt LED with lens we penetrating all the way down and plants were growing. I have not heard from him for long time now.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Syed Ji, I want to use only reliable LEDs. As most of hobbyist here using Edison but burnt out will be a very critical situation for me.