Timing

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
akshat2200
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Timing

Unread post by akshat2200 »

Someone told me that we have to dose Flourish iron and micros after lights out. Is is true and if yes then why?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timing

Unread post by SCORPIO »

It is true that we should dose fertilizers after light off. Plants use nutrition 24 hours although at the time of photosynthesis they need more nutrition. At night, the chemicals spreads easily in the water and ready for next day photosynthesis.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

SCORPIO wrote:At night, the chemicals spreads easily in the water and ready for next day photosynthesis.
in day time also it spreads well right, no?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Saikumar and Akshat Ji

Sometime water also get cloudy in day time fertilization due to reaction with light. Although I am not aware with the reaction but somewhere I read that Iron reacts in water in presence of light.

One more thing, Macro and Micro should not be dose at same time.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

akshat2200 wrote:Someone told me that we have to dose Flourish iron and micros after lights out. Is is true and if yes then why?
I'm not sure, but I guess it has something to do with stability of chelated( chelated iron) compounds in light.
Sushant
saikumar

sushant wrote:
akshat2200 wrote:Someone told me that we have to dose Flourish iron and micros after lights out. Is is true and if yes then why?
I'm not sure, but I guess it has something to do with stability of chelated( chelated iron) compounds in light.
yes.
Actually EDTA is sensitive to light. DPTA is not that much sensitive to light. Some companies use more stable chelates. Some use chelates that are easier to absorb in acidic Waters. Best thing is to know what's the composition in bottle and then dose or look out for what's written on instructions.
sumer
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sumer »

I have been reading about this exact topic.
From what I have read and understand, I think the best way is to dose little by little throughout the day.
Set your auto doser to dose ferts throughout the day. When you just dump all the chemicals in the tank at once, you give your tank a sudden 'shock'. If you keep the parameters constant by dosing the chemicals at a constant pace, your system doesn't get shocked and a non fluctuating system is always better than a fluctuating one.

This is what I understood from a few articles that Tom Barr has written. I don't have any first hand experience though. I myself am in the planning stage of my next planted tank. Does anyone have any counter arguments?
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
My aquarium photography: Plays Of Rays
saikumar

That's something ideal. But does it really matter if we shock the tank, and By this is it shocking plants or fish?

Also it quite a lot depends on your micros, if it is light sensitive. Lastly you d want to dose micros and macros at separate intervals to avoid oxidising Fe2+ or precipitating.

And as you are at it check out PPS way of dosing as well, nearly same schedule as you mentioned, but quite different in theory.
akshat2200
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by akshat2200 »

sumer wrote:I have been reading about this exact topic.
From what I have read and understand, I think the best way is to dose little by little throughout the day.
Set your auto doser to dose ferts throughout the day. When you just dump all the chemicals in the tank at once, you give your tank a sudden 'shock'. If you keep the parameters constant by dosing the chemicals at a constant pace, your system doesn't get shocked and a non fluctuating system is always better than a fluctuating one.

This is what I understood from a few articles that Tom Barr has written. I don't have any first hand experience though. I myself am in the planning stage of my next planted tank. Does anyone have any counter arguments?
So far the best way of dosing but beginners like me doesn't have any auto-feeder
I will prefer to dose all at once and leave for my work, still didn't get any solid reason for dosing micros at night
Ludwigia Palustri starts getting greener from the day i started dosing ferts at night
saikumar

Well its simple
1. If you dose in day time, you d have dosed even macros, which have capacity to react with Fe2+(from your Flourish iron)
2. Generally micros have tendancy to precipitate in presence of macros like above.
3. Some micros have iron included in them, and this iron is light sensitive, Seachem should be different to this.
4. Not sure if your friend meant it this way, but you can doze it AnytimeMorningNoonEvening but not overlap with macros.
5. Your plant turning green has an effect from not only iron but also your light and macros, so tell the whole story.

Does it make sense now?