Updating tank with DIY Substrate (Coco-peat, Soilrite-Garden Soil, Fine gravels) and its quick effect on fishes

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
smileysid
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Updating tank with DIY Substrate (Coco-peat, Soilrite-Garden Soil, Fine gravels) and its quick effect on fishes

Unread post by smileysid »

Hello all,

I am going to update my 3 feet tank (55Gallon) bottom with DIY substrate. The current tank is planted moderately with good growth through DIY fertz and good lighting-CO2 having inert fine gravels.
Though I want to update it with nutrient rich substrate for carpet plants and others, my major concern is the fishes.
Currently I have Neon tetras, Rummynose, Rosy Barbs, Danios, plecos etc, and they have well settled in the aqua environment. But as, I disturb the tank and update with DIY substrate, Will it effect if I add my fishes back to the tank quickly after the scaping is done?
Currently, I am having only one tank, so, I cant wait for few days to settle the aquarium and plants and then add the fishes.

Give your suggestions.
- Siddharth Sahani | Architect | Photographer | Aqua-hobbyist| www.siddharthsahani.com
parthapratim22

Re: Updating tank with DIY Substrate (Coco-peat, Soilrite-Garden Soil, Fine gravels) and its quick effect on fishes

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

Yes it will, accidentally you may loose all the fished. Thats not because of the substrate but the ammonia poisoning.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
smileysid
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Updating tank with DIY Substrate (Coco-peat, Soilrite-Garden Soil, Fine gravels) and its quick effect on fishes

Ammonia due to substrate? I am not going to wash/ rinse the current substrate gravels. Thinking of reusing it as it is along with 50% of the current tank water to retain the biological microorganism at max . Concern is to put a layer of nutrient rich layer in between.
Looking forward for more light on it.
- Siddharth Sahani | Architect | Photographer | Aqua-hobbyist| www.siddharthsahani.com
saikumar
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by saikumar »

What ever you do add lighter substrate at bottom and heavier substrate on top. It ll hold longer.
smileysid
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

...hold longer to cycle the tank to its fullest?

Rajeev ji, what do u suggest?

Can I put ADA or other premium substrate over the current substrate? Will there still be a problem?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

smileysid wrote:...hold longer to cycle the tank to its fullest?

Can I put ADA or other premium substrate over the current substrate? Will there still be a problem?
Dont make a cocktail. You can use branded susbstrate around 3-5 years. But if you mix with DIY, it will not reusable.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
smileysid
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

If i use branded one then can i put my fishes immediately?
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

Branded soil tank also need to be cycled
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

parthapratim22 wrote:Branded soil tank also need to be cycled
:1
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
saikumar

Unread post by saikumar »

SCORPIO wrote:
smileysid wrote:...hold longer to cycle the tank to its fullest?

Dont make a cocktail. You can use branded susbstrate around 3-5 years. But if you mix with DIY, it will not reusable.
:1

By theory if lighter substrate is below heavier substrate lesser dust will leak into your tank. Most of the Diy substrates are prone to this.