Garden Soil from Nursery

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
smileysid
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Garden Soil from Nursery

Unread post by smileysid »

Dear all,
I am procuring garden soil from nursery, as I am unable to get laterite in Delhi. I want to know :
1. how to treat the soil before mixing with Soilrite, as there are chances, it might contain pesticides, herbicides. So, kindly tell me what precautions, I should take before having.
2. How much kg of soilrite would be needed for 36''x18''x20'' tank and soil accordingly?
3. I found Coco-peat as block, how to use it for bottom? Should I crush it in water, soak and then use?

An another option of inert silica sand is always there for mixing soilrite. Whether I should go with it, or garden soil is more preferable?
- Siddharth Sahani | Architect | Photographer | Aqua-hobbyist| www.siddharthsahani.com
parthapratim22

Re: Garden Soil from Nursery

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

I would suggest don't procure garden soil from nursery, almost 100% chance it will contain manure. Almost impossible to separate.

Rather you can search river sand mix with humus vermiconpost cocopeat etc. Very lees amount to cocopeat at the button. Rest you can mix. But top half inch layer need to be only sand.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Garden Soil from Nursery

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Some nursseries sell black soil which is almost manure free.
But It will be best option to brought vermicompost and mix with construction sand.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda