DIY PALNTED SUBSTRATE

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
sam_de
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

DIY PALNTED SUBSTRATE

Unread post by sam_de »

Hello All

hows going all your hobbies, actually today m here to know about the diy substrate,
actually i got a new 3 ftr tank which i only want to use as planted with some fishes like livebearers and danios and one plakat
so guys i want to know can i use diy soil like soilrite+laterite with cocopeat soil or peat moss covering with construction sand and last but
not the least want to cover as whole with ada amazonia just to get the black texture for my little shrimps

and will be using hardscape as stones from hill side and bog or driftwood as tea plant wood as i work as a admin in tea gardens i used to get
lot of tea plants wood shaped exactly as driftwood, i will post a pic today.

so i actually need ur advise what are the do's and don's i should follow, and what will be the ratio of laterite soilrite and peat moss or cocopeat soil
since it is a 3 feter by 18 inch what should be the exact amount of the raw material i shud use.

more importantly shud i need to go for mineralization with the following soil, i hv gone through the forum and read maximum dis substrate topic and a bit confused myself :D .

so please guide me coz this is my first diy soil tank want to build

Regards
Somnat :feedb
Regards
somd

The only failures are those that stop trying! :idea:
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: DIY PALNTED SUBSTRATE

Unread post by SCORPIO »

sam_de wrote:Hello All

hows going all your hobbies, actually today m here to know about the diy substrate,
actually i got a new 3 ftr tank which i only want to use as planted with some fishes like livebearers and danios and one plakat
so guys i want to know can i use diy soil like soilrite+laterite with cocopeat soil or peat moss covering with construction sand and last but
not the least want to cover as whole with ada amazonia just to get the black texture for my little shrimps

and will be using hardscape as stones from hill side and bog or driftwood as tea plant wood as i work as a admin in tea gardens i used to get
lot of tea plants wood shaped exactly as driftwood, i will post a pic today.

so i actually need ur advise what are the do's and don's i should follow, and what will be the ratio of laterite soilrite and peat moss or cocopeat soil
since it is a 3 feter by 18 inch what should be the exact amount of the raw material i shud use.

more importantly shud i need to go for mineralization with the following soil, i hv gone through the forum and read maximum dis substrate topic and a bit confused myself :D .

so please guide me coz this is my first diy soil tank want to build

Regards
Somnat :feedb
1. Make a thin layer of cocopeat soil on surface of aquarium. Not more than half inch.
2. Mix Latarite and Soilrite in 60:40 ratio.
3. Top layer should be fine graval.
4. You can use tea wood as driftwood.
5. Just peal off the bark of wood. Boil it properly and use in aquarium. I have already use tea branches in aquarium.
6. Please check the stone before putting in aquarium. Stones should not affect water chemistry.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sam_de
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sam_de »

Many many thanks @scorpio for ur advise, i will definitely look after the stones
and post the pics as soon as i start the build
coz still waiting for the cannister and plants
Regards
somd

sam_de
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sam_de »

Sir @scorpio as of now i hv collected Laterite, Vermicompost, perilite, cocpeat, river sand+constuction sand and ADA amazonia blk....

still seraching for Soilrite as the name is totally unkown by the nursary fellowos, i suppose its a brand or name( soilrite) can v make soilrite by our own..

now i want to start the proceeding as per your advise, so wat wuld b the composition or ratios in weight for all the materials..

thats the driftwood converted from tea branches..

Regards
Somnath
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
somd

sam_de
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sam_de »

Rajiv sir as of now i hv collected Laterite, Vermicompost, perilite, cocpeat, river sand+constuction sand and ADA amazonia blk....

should i mix perilite if what is the quantity

still seraching for Soilrite as the name is totally unkown by the nursary fellowos, i suppose its a brand or name( soilrite) can v make soilrite by our own..

now i want to start the proceeding as per your advise, so wat wuld b the composition or ratios in weight for all the materials..

thats the driftwood converted from tea branches..

Now please give details of exact amount and layer of the total soil, and what are i shud use..

i am all ready for the setup
Regards
somd

sushant

Unread post by sushant »

I won't recommend adding perlite, as it will float and it is quite a pain to remove them from water.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk
Sushant
sam_de
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sam_de »

many thanks sir @sushant.......i wont use perilite than, so i am done now got Laterite, soilrite, vermicompost, cocopeat, riversand, construction sand

so plz tell the exact amount of evry single item to b used here in my tank which is 36*18*18

and what is the depth of all the substarte, and the mixtuer
Regards
somd

devchitra
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by devchitra »

Any update?
sam_de
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sam_de »

just waiting for the canister which will b receiving tomorrow sir.... so this weknd i will b setting up my first 'diy tank..

need full support from all f u....

Thanks in advanc
Regards
somd

parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

which construction sand that u talking about? any pic? dont use ant construction sand !!!
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60