DIY Substrate/Fertilizers for planted aquariums.

Forum for discussion on substrate and fertilizers used in aquariums
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

DIY Substrate/Fertilizers for planted aquariums.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

DIY Substrate

Bottom layer: Cocopeat soil (half inch)
Mid layer: Mixture of Latartie and Soilrite in the ratio of 60::40 (1 inch)
Top layer: Gravels or Golden sand. (Which can prevent to float the cocopeat/latarite and soilrite)

DIY Fertilizer

Potassium nitrate (KNO3) 1 teaspoons
Potassium sulphate (K2SO4) 2 teaspoons
Magnesium sulphate (MGSO4) 3 teaspoons
Trace elements mix 2 teaspoons
Dosage : 3 ml/100 liter in alternate days.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
vikram
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: DIY Substrate/Fertilizers for planted aquariums.

Unread post by vikram »

Rajiv Ji,
Share more details on Trace Elements aswell
--
Vikram
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

vikram wrote:Rajiv Ji,
Share more details on Trace Elements aswell
Now a days CSM-B have a good reputation. You can buy online from here. http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index ... ItemStart=
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

sushant

Unread post by sushant »

CSM at 15$ looks quite expensive to me :( . don't we have some other alternative? what happened to vardaman chemicals???
Sushant
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rahul_sood »

Cocopeat soil (half inch)
Mid layer: Mixture of Latartie and Soilrite

what is cocpeat soil??from where i can find this?? and from where to get latarite and soilrite??
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

sushant wrote:CSM at 15$ looks quite expensive to me :( . don't we have some other alternative? what happened to vardaman chemicals???
That will be end up in 2 years so I think it is not expensive :P . All the fertilizers of Vardhman have not contain iron and other elements as they declared on the packet. I have also using Ferlilon B but I am also moving to CSM-B.
rahul_sood wrote:Cocopeat soil (half inch)
Mid layer: Mixture of Latartie and Soilrite

what is cocpeat soil??from where i can find this?? and from where to get latarite and soilrite??
Cocopeat Soil is a iron riched soil. You can find it on the fertilizers shops/ plant nursery. Its price is around Rs. 20 per kg.
Latarite is natural soil found in southern part and M.P., Maharastra, Jharkhand states of India.
Soilrite: It is also a type of clay from Vardhman fertilizers. It is also available on fertilizers shops/ plant nursery. Its price is Rs. 45 per kg.

Here in Delhi, Cocopeat soil and Soilrite both are available in Kaka Nagar CST Market, Opposite Delhi Zoo.

rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Cocopeat Soil is a iron riched soil. You can find it on the fertilizers shops/ plant nursery. Its price is around Rs. 20 per kg.
Latarite is natural soil found in southern part and M.P., Maharastra, Jharkhand states of India.
Soilrite: It is also a type of clay from Vardhman fertilizers. It is also available on fertilizers shops/ plant nursery. Its price is Rs. 45 per kg.

Here in Delhi, Cocopeat soil and Soilrite both are available in Kaka Nagar CST Market, Opposite Delhi Zoo.

sir any specific name of cocopeat and soilrite in hindi???cocopeat is also from vardhman ferts?..if i get both this then any alternative for latarite?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Cocopeat soil is the name of item while Soilrite is brand of Vardhaman fertilizer.

In absence of Latarite, you can use black soil which is available in Punjab. If can also use any type of soil but dig atleast 1 foot and get the soil. I have also used construction sand with soilrite and cocopeat soil. The result was good.

rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

thanks for the info i never knew this that cocopeat and soilrite can be available at fertilizer shop.. i will find this now :)
jack

Unread post by jack »

hey,

some more details on the DIY fertilizers will help a lot,

and these packets come in the packing of 500 grams. So if some one would like to share, i will inquire the prices and may plan to buy.

For the trace elements you suggested a site and that has a copper content, will that affect my shrimps ?

A friend of mine suggested me to use this recipe to make a DIY fertilizers, i planned to make but it is very much confusing,

MACRO
N, P, K
Nitrogen, Phosphorous and Potassium - the macronutrients.
• 500 ml of distilled water
• 61 g (10.69 teaspoons, 3.63 tablespoons) Potassium nitrate (KNO3)
• 5.2 g (1 teaspoons) Potassium monophosphate (KP04)
• 10.8 g (2 teaspoons) Magnesium sulphate (MgSO4)
• 1.8 g (0.3 or 1/3 teaspoon) Potassium sulphate (KSO4)
3 times a week add 10 ml for a 20 gallon tank. Or 1-2 ml daily. Or 15 ml twice a week. This will add 30 ppm nitrate a week to a tank with corresponding correct proportions for the other macronutrtients.

So if a simplified and detailed method by Scorpio, will help a lot.
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D