Aquascaping layouts

Post your tank progress here from day 1.
Somen
Panel Members
Panel Members

Re: Aquascaping layouts

Unread post by Somen »

The tanks are just so beautiful. Every tank speaks for itself and gives a different flavour,
and is unique in its own way.
Somen
Any dead fish can flow down the river but it takes a live one to swim back up stream.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

All the scapes are amazing.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Achintya »

I gone through all of your aquascapes for years and I like to tell you that your 6 feeter blackwater tank was the main inspiration to jump into blackwater journey. Now a days I have that 4 feeter blackwater tank,and this tank will not be dismantled by any means.
Bappa da,any update of your blackwater tank?Havn't seen any update for months...
devchitra
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by devchitra »

inspiring work
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

This is how I do it...
Step 1:
Look for inspiration, download loads of pictures.

Step2:
As we are limited by a box within which we have to work. I see from the pictures what fits best into my dimensions.
I do tons of sketches sometimes taking the whole picture for inspiration and sometimes taking a part of it and improvising it and somtimes mixing various pictures to come with a composition that can be feasible with existing/available hardcape material and size and scale of the scape.

Step3:
As with landscape style aquascaping, things are pretty tough, you need to create a strong illusion of spaces.

Check this picture for instance..I'll try to explain what I mean with this
dd.jpg
If we think about it. Roughly, the area at front(from one side to the other) will be 50feet in actual scale.
Likewise, if we evaluate from front to the horizon line it'll be atleast 5 times more than distance side to side. And some times about 10 times more especially in cases of mountain scapes.

Here the challenge is to create the strong illusion using finer material at back be it plants or hardscape.

In our typical rectangle tanks its easy to create FG hardscape where we have to replicate 50ft of actual scale into our mini model. But for FG to BG graduation is where a good aquascaper stands out in his skill. How effectively he can do the transition. This is where most of my time goes, working this part, still learning this phase..
From above inspiration picture we are trying to create a tank lets say, about 3x1.5x1.5 in dimensions
50ft will be about 3feet for instance, then we need to accommodate 200ft of actual scale into just 18" of width of tank to create the perfect illusion.
Then the placement wrt the height.

Being an architecture student also gave me a little edge about understanding spaces and managing them. So I work out creating precise detailed working drawings plans, elevtions and sectional views of the scape w.r.t. hardscape material.

I feel this step is very necessary to produce an accurate scape from a sketch. As sketch 2 dimensional and scape is a 3d limited space.

This might be very confusing for most and some people are very skillful and can get accurate representations without working on paper. But from experince from current scape I feel this complicated method is best suited way for me to work it through.

Step 4:
Actual hardscape is worked out

Step 5:
Plant selection - I try to experiment with various textures in a scape and keep a list of alternate plants if by any means I fail to grow one I can take the other. I plan all this beforehand.

Step 6:
Inhabitants-smallest fish are the best as they further enhance the illusion of scale.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
devchitra

Unread post by devchitra »

nicely explained.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Hamza, very nice write up.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
aquadream
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquadream »

creating a finer illusion within confines of the tank requires skill...