Gravels vs Sand

Post your tank progress here from day 1.
Subha92
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Gravels vs Sand

Unread post by Subha92 »

I'ld like to know that which one the best substrate for the Aquarium. Substrate cleaning is very frustrating job whether you have the vaccum cleaning equipment or not. Is that point of view, I would like to know whether sand is good or the gravels to make the cleaning easy. I've heard that cleaning of Gravels are little bit tiresome job in respect of that sand. But on the other hand the sand may cause the growth of Anaerobic bacteria which can be harmful to the tank environment as well as to the fishes. So I'm little bit confused about choosing my substrate. So please help me out.

Sent from my Che1-L04 using Tapatalk
jack

Re: Gravels vs Sand

Unread post by jack »

For me fine sand works out better as the dirt doesnt penetrate and i can syphon easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
auran
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by auran »

Depends on what you are trying to do too. If you are focused on fishes with minimal plants you can do sand with little risk:
  • - As accurately stated above, debris penetration into sand is poor and allows for easier cleaning
    - Anaerobic pockets pose less risk since you wont disturbing the substrate usually
On the other hand, with plant tanks, gravel usually works better
  • - Better aeration of roots, less compacting of substrate. Water column ferts actually reach roots
    - Some amount of mulm in the substrate might actually help plants
    - Specially formulated gravels for plants are available
    - Sand is inert, not the best choice for rooting plants
In the end its largely a matter of your own goals and preferences. Be it aesthetics, how much maintenance you are comfortable with etc. People have successfully done wonders with either. E.g.: I personally think white sugar sand looks amazing if used right. But I have never used it because my goals were different. I went for plant friendly high CEC gravel

Unread post by Guest »

Thank you guys for your replies. I think I should go for the sand for my tank. Because of the following causes-
1. Easily available, though I'm not using the Builder's sand.
2. Much easier in cleaning.
3. Looks great with plants and black background.
:lol:

Subha92
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Subha92 »

Thank you guys for your replies. I think I should go for the sand for my tank. Because of the following causes-
1. Easily available, though I'm not using the Builder's sand.
2. Much easier in cleaning.
3. Looks great with plants and black background.
:lol:

sushant

Re: RE: Re: Gravels vs Sand

Unread post by sushant »

auran wrote:Depends on what you are trying to do too. If you are focused on fishes with minimal plants you can do sand with little risk:
  • - As accurately stated above, debris penetration into sand is poor and allows for easier cleaning
    - Anaerobic pockets pose less risk since you wont disturbing the substrate usually
On the other hand, with plant tanks, gravel usually works better
  • - Better aeration of roots, less compacting of substrate. Water column ferts actually reach roots
    - Some amount of mulm in the substrate might actually help plants
    - Specially formulated gravels for plants are available
    - Sand is inert, not the best choice for rooting plants
In the end its largely a matter of your own goals and preferences. Be it aesthetics, how much maintenance you are comfortable with etc. People have successfully done wonders with either. E.g.: I personally think white sugar sand looks amazing if used right. But I have never used it because my goals were different. I went for plant friendly high CEC gravel
Cannot be explained any better.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00ED using Tapatalk
Sushant