Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Forum for discussion on Cichlids.
VishaalDalal
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

there are no discussions on Ram's
please give detailed conditions as I had bought 4 out of which 3 have died one by one (there was a substrate and Pump misunderstanding) and my tank was muddy for a day.
but i would really like to know the following things.
1. PH
2. Size of tank
3. ideal polulation
4. approx price if possible in Delhi NCR
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Rams are literally one of the worst sufferers of breeding. The mortality rate is very high indeed.

I had Rams in my tank. They are peaceful but territorial. All 3 of them were bottom dwellers and very inquisitive of anything sinking. They can be kept in small tanks. My Rams were able to survive big pH swings. The ideal population appears to be 2 atleast. They enjoy chasing each other. Approximate price for the smaller size is between Rs.40 to Rs.80 a pair.

Its good to keep them in planted tanks. They tend to show off some really good colours.
pkattitude
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pkattitude »

VishaalDalal wrote:there are no discussions on Ram's
please give detailed conditions as I had bought 4 out of which 3 have died one by one (there was a substrate and Pump misunderstanding) and my tank was muddy for a day.
but i would really like to know the following things.
1. PH
2. Size of tank
3. ideal polulation
4. approx price if possible in Delhi NCR
1. PH - 6-7 (though, once settled they tolerate fluctuations pretty well)
2. size of tank - 40 liters minimum with more area to roam around. I mostly see them on the bottom layers
3. ideal population - I would say that would depend on the tank itself; but equal numbers of male and females
4. approx price - 50 - 200 (depending upon the size, shop and its locality)

In my experience they are not a starter fish and should be kept only in settled/well cycled aquarium preferably with plants and hiding space. Eat almost anything but like worms; susceptible to stomach infections.
Regards,
Keshava
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquanick »

1. PH - 6-7 (add as much as driftwoods as you can, if a few start dying then add the good old dried almond leaves for conditioning)
2. size of tank - 2 footer minimum..
3. ideal population - 2 females per male.. both the male and female are colorful so you should not have any issues
4. approx price - INR 60 is a good price for decent sized pair.. I would say go for bolivians as they are rare..

My 2 cents:

1) Please never buy Balloon or electric blue varieties as they depict cruelty that this species has undergone for the sake of money
2) Keep the ph as low as possible
3) they love caves as they are territorial.. so add as many driftwoods and stones
4) Do make sure to feed sinking pellets as they are bottom dwellers and being "Mikrogeophagus", they just LOVE to pick up the food from bottom and eat
5) Try and get bolivians whenever you see thme at a LFS as they very rarely come and ship a few for me! LOL

All the best.

Regards,
Nick
Ashish
-------------
Banaglore
VishaalDalal

Unread post by VishaalDalal »

Thanks a lot guys, this really helps, now i need to look for bolivian Ram's