guide me about malawi chiclids.

Forum for discussion on Cichlids.
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

guide me about malawi chiclids.

Unread post by rahul_sood »

i am thinking to keep malawi chiclid but i dont have knowledge how to keep them. here golden sand is not available can i use construction site sand which is used for plaster the wall. and what malawis are peaceful and compatible to each other. i have seen malawi (all mix breeds) here but the shopkeper was asking for 400rs pair and he was saying that chose any of them. i only recognised yellow lab, giraffe, and bule colour fish. and other i dont know but there were other also. can anyone give me the rough idea of the fish prices? and are they easy to breed if i keep diffrent malawis in the tank? and compatible malawis for the beginner?
tank size 30*15*15 inches.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: guide me about malawi chiclids.

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Lot of knowledge is here about Malawi http://malawicichlids.com/
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

not familiar with scientific names:(
rimple
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by rimple »

rahul_sood wrote:i am thinking to keep malawi chiclid but i dont have knowledge how to keep them. here golden sand is not available can i use construction site sand which is used for plaster the wall. and what malawis are peaceful and compatible to each other. i have seen malawi (all mix breeds) here but the shopkeper was asking for 400rs pair and he was saying that chose any of them. i only recognised yellow lab, giraffe, and bule colour fish. and other i dont know but there were other also. can anyone give me the rough idea of the fish prices? and are they easy to breed if i keep diffrent malawis in the tank? and compatible malawis for the beginner?
tank size 30*15*15 inches.
Hi Rahul, Please also check this Link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fr ... s#Cichlids

I have also some malawi chiclids
https://picasaweb.google.com/1124107360 ... 0478382194

https://picasaweb.google.com/1124107360 ... 9633306418

https://picasaweb.google.com/1124107360 ... 6889868882

These fishes are very aggressive. I am not know much about these fishes. But in my tank they are not breeding. They always try to kill weak fish. Need many hiding places in their tank. I suggest you don't use construction site sand. Use crushed gravel. Yours city LFS guy demand high rate for malawi chiclids. I have get these fishes 250-300 per pair.
If you have knowledge, let others light their candles at it. (Margaret Fuller)
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

These fishes are very aggressive. I am not know much about these fishes. But in my tank they are not breeding. They always try to kill weak fish. Need many hiding places in their tank. I suggest you don't use construction site sand. Use crushed gravel. Yours city LFS guy demand high rate for malawi chiclids. I have get these fishes 250-300 per pair.[/quote]

paaji thanks for the links. i know they are aggresive thats why i want to know what malawi sepices i can keep in that size tank..i will keep only malwai..yes the yellow lab is cheap but here he lfs guy offered me that i can chose any in 400rs a pair..so any one can tell me what malawi are above 400 and what are less then 400...i want to keep peaceful speices..is crushed gravel is safe for them? i will prove hiding plance to them..
BTW paaji lat pic is malawai??which speceis?
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by maaz »

Upload pic of you fish so we can find out which pair you got..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

1. Electric Yellow
2. auratus cichlid
3. White Morph

i am keeping Morphs form 1-1/2 year its noot easy to breed them water parameters should be at same level every time..if keep any other fish with these that fish will be killed by these these are highly agressive..i am having very long experience with these fish..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

rahul,
price of fish may vary depending on various factors like size, strain, availability, location etc. so its almost impossible to suggest/predict that the value the LFS have quoted you is justified or not.the price quoted to other hobbyists can only give u general idea and may help in asking for a better deal and the rest depends on your bargaining ability and your desire for that fish ;)
Sushant
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

all the fishes were around 2-2.5 inches only.. i am asking for the price because lfs guy is giving me the choice to chose any of the fish which he have in the tank for 400rs a pair. i know that the yellow lab is cheap. so i want to know what are the malawis which are above 400rs a pair..the size is 2 inch and all are the easily available breeds nothing special.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

rahul_sood wrote:all the fishes were around 2-2.5 inches only.. i am asking for the price because lfs guy is giving me the choice to chose any of the fish which he have in the tank for 400rs a pair. i know that the yellow lab is cheap. so i want to know what are the malawis which are above 400rs a pair..the size is 2 inch and all are the easily available breeds nothing special.
First of all you need to know the names of available fishes at the store in your locality.

1. You need strong water circulation and filtration. Atleast 5 times of water volume of water of tank in a hour.
2. All of the Malawi Cichlids are known for their territorial characteristic.
3. pH should be between 7.5 to 8.5
4. Water should be hard.
5. You need lots of rock work in the aquarium.
6. No place for plants in the aquarium.
7. Read carefully about the species you are going to brought.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda