can any tell me the common name of catfish?

Forum for discussion on big size fishes such as Arowana, Flowerhorns etc.
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

can any tell me the common name of catfish?

Unread post by rahul_sood »

hello, i have bought a catfish its about 4 inches in size its a albino the head is more pinkish then the body. can any one tell me what kind of cat is that? it is so cute so i purchased that and i kept it in the goldies tank.. it is only active when i feed them its very fast but dont disturb goldies only eat its share then comes down in the pot..
do these cats need heater? can i keep it with goldies, the tank is 40 gallon? or i have another small tank about 12 gallon where i have kept livebearers and danios and it has heater can i shift there? i think cat may eat my small fishs so i keep it with goldies..
how to share the pics here???
sorry i am posting this in goldies section as there is no section for catfish.
regards,
rahul
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: can any tell me the common name of catfish?

Unread post by ishaan »

rahul according to my experience ,you should not keep the catfish with goldies as when catfish will grow big ,cat will surely attack the goldies.

in my opinion, goldfish are best off with goldfish :lol: .
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

post a pic if you can :) .
Sushant
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

how to post a pic??plz answer my other queries.
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

these are some of the pics of rahul's catfish
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
jibran_shariff
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by jibran_shariff »

there are two types of catfish in there

both of them being albino

clarius batrachus is the fish which has long whiskers and stays in the corners of the tank, swimming vertical

the other albino fish which will be zipping across the aquarium are pangasius sp.

the pangasius are better kept in groups, but they also grow 2' plus and the first 10" are within the first 6 months

the clarius will get to 17-18" in aquaria, the first 8" will be in 6 months, will devour anything that will fit its large belly, although they look clumsy they are amazing predators

the clarius are best kept alone and not with their kind as these catfish have quite a lot of conspecific aggression
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

jibran_shariff wrote:there are two types of catfish in there

both of them being albino

clarius batrachus is the fish which has long whiskers and stays in the corners of the tank, swimming vertical

the other albino fish which will be zipping across the aquarium are pangasius sp.

the pangasius are better kept in groups, but they also grow 2' plus and the first 10" are within the first 6 months

the clarius will get to 17-18" in aquaria, the first 8" will be in 6 months, will devour anything that will fit its large belly, although they look clumsy they are amazing predators

the clarius are best kept alone and not with their kind as these catfish have quite a lot of conspecific aggression

thanks alot jibran bhai ;)
pangasius sp. is id shark?? sorry i dont know scientific names. my friend has this fish from last 4 months but its not increasing..why??

clarius batrachus is walking catfish?? yes i have only one in tank but this is sharing the tank with goldies and shark..is it safe???

any other compatible fishes with this walking catfish??

do i need a heater for this fish??i dont use the heater as it is in goldies tank. but here temp. falls down to 1-2 degree in winters night..
jibran_shariff
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by jibran_shariff »

rahul_sood wrote: thanks alot jibran bhai ;)
pangasius sp. is id shark?? sorry i dont know scientific names. my friend has this fish from last 4 months but its not increasing..why??

clarius batrachus is walking catfish?? yes i have only one in tank but this is sharing the tank with goldies and shark..is it safe???

any other compatible fishes with this walking catfish??

do i need a heater for this fish??i dont use the heater as it is in goldies tank. but here temp. falls down to 1-2 degree in winters night..
yes it is the ID shark

ur friends fish must've been kept in either a small tank, or the filtration is not upto the mark and hence it is not growing

usually clarias do not go well with gold fish, as gold fish are slow moving fish, which always do good in gold fish only tanks, and here the clarias is going to rip its fins once the clarias is gonna get a little big

clarias have to be kept with fish, which are gonna get bigger than the clarias and can fend for themselves
ishaan

Unread post by ishaan »

hi jibran ,this shark was with me ,the filtration was good and the shark was growing very well in size in my tank with few other sharks and i have those from 2 months and then i gave one of them to rahul 8-) (i don't know why rahul said that it was not growing in size from 4 months :oops: :x ) i got it at size of 1 inch
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
rahul_sood
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

haha ishaan u told me that its not eating well as food is bigger then its mouth so i wrote here...