Long term fish collection

Forum for discussion on big size fishes such as Arowana, Flowerhorns etc.
KarthikC

Long term fish collection

Unread post by KarthikC »

Hi guys,

Wanted to check if anyone has experience keeping mid size catfish. The ones I'm interested are:

1.) Sun Catfish( will be getting soon)
2.) ompok malabaricus
3.) h.fossilis
4.) bagarius bagarius
5.) gagata gagata
6.) clarius magur

Will add more to wish list :)

Any info on keeping/feeding etc would be really helpful

awaiting replies :)

Also would love to see catfish collection, if anyone has.

Cheers,

Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by KarthikC on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: Catfish collection share/information needed

Unread post by Romi »

Karthik, aren't you really going for the big ones here? Mid size?

Start with the smaller species my friend. If things go awry, the small ones are easier to rehome or rehabilitate. I think only Sun Catfish in this list suit a beginner catfish keeper, and even that not that much, since it can cross half a foot. And they like schooling!

I never dared keep them due to the group habit they have. Have seen them being sold several times in Royal Aquarium. Clarias I had when I was in college. The fish had an appetite! yeow. i released it since it was native, in a big pond. It jumped. It could sting. .. :roll:

Goonch Catfish :o The less said the better.

if you did not mean native indian catfish only, and have access to an importer, why don't you check this species out? i love it coz it is a community fish too, and has the lucidity of motion that the clarias has without the big big stomach.
KarthikC

Romi wrote:Karthik, aren't you really going for the big ones here? Mid size?

Start with the smaller species my friend. If things go awry, the small ones are easier to rehome or rehabilitate. I think only Sun Catfish in this list suit a beginner catfish keeper, and even that not that much, since it can cross half a foot. And they like schooling!

I never dared keep them due to the group habit they have. Have seen them being sold several times in Royal Aquarium. Clarias I had when I was in college. The fish had an appetite! yeow. i released it since it was native, in a big pond. It jumped. It could sting. .. :roll:

Goonch Catfish :o The less said the better.

if you did not mean native indian catfish only, and have access to an importer, why don't you check this species out? i love it coz it is a community fish too, and has the lucidity of motion that the clarias has without the big big stomach.
Hi Romi ji,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I was planning for 2-3 species in a 6' tank. I read it in planet catfish and the size mentioned by them are < 18" for all that I listed. I will be careful about the species that you mentioned. Sun catfish, however I will be getting it shortly.

Cheers,

Karthik

Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

Karthik...expect Jeremy Wade knocking on your door to film an episode of River Monsters :thumup
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Romi wrote:Goonch Catfish The less said the better.
Goonch is also known as a maneater in KALI river. It grows upto 6+ foot in favorable conditions.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

SCORPIO wrote:
Goonch is also known as a maneater in KALI river. It grows upto 6+ foot in favorable conditions.
There was a documentary on discovery or national geographic on the same.
Sushant
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

Naufil wrote:Karthik...expect Jeremy Wade knocking on your door to film an episode of River Monsters :thumup
SCORPIO wrote:
sushant wrote:
SCORPIO wrote:
There was a documentary on discovery or national geographic on the same.
The one you guys are referring to is 'Bagarius yarrelli' and not 'Bagarius bagarius'
Bagarius bagarius (dwarf goonch) is the only member of the genus that can be kept in captivity (actually suitable for an aquarium). It grows up to 8-10", unlike its bigger cousin Bagarius yarrelli (goonch) that can grow up to 60"+
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

@vijendra

okkkkk... a mini goonch? aha... that will be nice. coolbig

my previous post was left incomplete, excuse me Karthik. I was suggesting this species from Indo-China. I wonder if it is available and you can source it. quite a lovely fish, especially the light color form, and my goodness it swims super stylishly... :mrgreen: Hasselt's Leaf Catfish, it is a good community fish.

http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/fishes ... atfish.htm
KarthikC

Wow. So many replies. Thanks guys :)

Yes, as vijendra ji said I was referring to the dwarf goonch. I'm scared of even thinking of the bagarius yarelli

Romi ji: will definitely check the link.

Thanks again guys :)

Karthik

KarthikC

First of the log term fish I got as a gift from a close friend. Horabargus Brachysoma
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414348665.785178.jpg
Supposedly grows up to 18". Eats any sinking pellets and small fish that can fit in it's mouth.

Cheers,

Karthik

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.