Discus in Planted Tank

Forum dedicated to the Discus fish.
aamir
Experts
Experts

Re: Discus in Planted Tank

Unread post by aamir »

Nice pics and info sir reminds me the tank of venky sir.
Fb....(aamir.khan.180072@facebook.com)
New number 9560682201
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

SCORPIO wrote:Some aquarium filter manufacturing companies are selling zeolites in other brand names as filter media for both planted/non-planted tanks.

i totally agree with you on that, and this is just because zeolite is one of the most effective substance in reducing the ammonia and nitrate level in tank and as we know that less nitrate/ammonia in an uncycled tank=less algae issue. but a fully cycled tank is more or less self sustained as far as nitrate and ammonia goes reducing them under optimal value will directly effect the your tank zeolite may also interfere with nitrogen cylce. Tom barr has also suggested some where to restrict its use only for initial phase of the planted tank.

but lets not discuss zeolite anymore because this post was about ur discuss tank and i'm loving it ;) .
Sushant
Zakk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Zakk »

Rateesh,

If you are coming to Cochin, drop into Veekshnam road. That is the 1st left turn on chitoor road when you enter from Kacheripadi. On your left handside, there is a chemist shop, located under the Yogvidya Pranic Healing Foundation. He stocks zeolite. I had picked up my gluthradehyde solution from him and noticed this box containing the zeolite powder that another guy was purchasing.
Just cos it happened to you is no means for you to claim that it will happen to me. Exceptions aren't the rule.

Viresh "The Warbringer" Fleming

eluviet@hotmail.com
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

Nice topic. I have been keeping discus only in planted tanks and somehow have found them to be better off and more healthy in planted tanks, with the correct tank mates.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
ratheeshkollam
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by ratheeshkollam »

@ Zakk: yes i have a plan to go to cochin for buying some discusnext month.So if i planning for a planted tank , i will defenitly go to the site you mentioned.

the best way to getrid of the waste in planted tank is , to keep 5-8 small apple snails.They will eat up all the wastes in the planted tank . also the waste of the small apple snails are comparitively less.
Thanks and Regards
Ratheesh.S
ICRI,
Technopark
Trivandrum
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Don't bring zeolite powder. You need pebbles size zeolite. You can use this zeolite as filter media or simply bind it in a cloth or a plastic mesh and put that in the aquarium. After every 2-3 month put off this zeolite in sun light for 2 week after washing . Not it is ready for use again in the aquarium.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
ratheeshkollam
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

@Scorpio:So Zeolite can be used for planted as well as BB tank right?
Thanks and Regards
Ratheesh.S
ICRI,
Technopark
Trivandrum
Zakk
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Zakk »

@Ratheesh,

which LFS do you pick up ur discuss from in Cochin?
Just cos it happened to you is no means for you to claim that it will happen to me. Exceptions aren't the rule.

Viresh "The Warbringer" Fleming

eluviet@hotmail.com
ratheeshkollam
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

@Zakk
No i did nt buy from any LFS . i bought it from a person in Kadavantra. Do you want his contact?
Thanks and Regards
Ratheesh.S
ICRI,
Technopark
Trivandrum
abhis
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by abhis »

Friends,

Nice topic..........

1st thing I would like to say that I kept Discus in tank with lots of Plant.

So Plant in Tank and Planted Tank is totaly two differnt thing as per my experience.

Planted Tank needs - CO2, Fert., High Light, Black Background (in maximum case), WC scudele for Discus, Feeding schedule etc. etc. which is not in favor to keep Discus in Planted tank.

But yes you can keep the Discus in Planted Tank if you wish ...no issue at all. Just what I want say that you never get that much healthy Discus as well color too which you can see in BB tank or even the picture is posted in 1st page of this thread.

Pls. never mind it is my personal opinion.

Thanks
"Nothing is impossible, Impossible is the word found only in the dictionary of fools"