What do you think about Discus Fish?

Forum dedicated to the Discus fish.

What do you think about Discus Fish?

Poll ended at Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Most beautiful but I don't keeps!
26%
I don't like keeping Discus.
10%
Superb! They are most important part of my hobby.
6%
I want to keep Discus in future.
16%
Don't have space to keep Discus.
13%
Kept Discus in past, again want to keep in future.
29%

Total votes: 31

SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: What do you think about Discus Fish?

Unread post by SCORPIO »

pinaki_pal wrote: Resulting less frequent water change ??
If I will plants that will be only water sprite.......one of the best plant in absorbing nitrate.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
mats
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by mats »

Kept discus for a few years earlier but now stay away from these beautiful fish as it is Difficult to maintain the temp in the winters in shimla. Also expensive to maintain the temp in winters for me. So find them a little impractical for my setup.
Other than that I love them
Kuna
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Kuna »

From long time was planing to keep Discuss. Finally have a discuss tank in my fish room with few lovely Discuss from Shiva nair.
- Superb! They are most important part of my hobby.
Regards
Prashanta
+91-9980528750
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Kuna wrote:From long time was planing to keep Discuss. Finally have a discuss tank in my fish room with few lovely Discuss from Shiva nair.
- Superb! They are most important part of my hobby.
I kept discus for around 2 years. Source of all Discus from Shiva Nair. Quality of his discus are best in India.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
hamza
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by hamza »

A little off topic, but couldn't resist to say.

Discus are some of the least eco-friendly fish you can keep, aren't they?

Unless someone in using the daily waste water(from water change) in ground water recharge, watering the plants, recycling it again effectively, you just can't justify such enormous wastage.
And of course I can say with confidence almost all discus keepers if not all don't take the above measures.
And this is excluding the water wastage from an RO system, if we include that it'll be like atleast 5 litres for every liter used. In case of a 200 liter tank which is bare minimal for a discus you waste like 500 liter of tap water to create 100 liter of RO water per day, 100l by itself is a big figure over a year if you think about it.

That's one of the prime reasons I stayed away from them. I stay in an apartment building and I don't have ways to efficiently recycle water from huge daily changes. And unfortunately discus happens to be a sensitive fish in that regard, you just can't ignore its demands. And also there are tons of other things you can do in this hobby if you just ignore them.

I don't mean to discourage discuss/soft water fish keeping by any means, its just that we should plan ahead and be a little more responsible.

It doesn't sound a big issue for now but with our growing population its inevitable, even at present there's huge water scarcity during summer time. So why not we address this wastage issue?

Ours(proper fishkeeping) is still a small community and it won't take much time to make conscious efforts.
Arjun Tandon
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Arjun Tandon »

I agree with hamza