What do you think about Discus Fish?

Forum dedicated to the Discus fish.

Poll ended at Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Most beautiful but I don't keeps!
26%
I don't like keeping Discus.
10%
Superb! They are most important part of my hobby.
6%
I want to keep Discus in future.
16%
Don't have space to keep Discus.
13%
Kept Discus in past, again want to keep in future.
29%

Total votes: 31

SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Discus fish are known as the Kings of freshwater fish. They are very beautiful, delicate and attractive. Most of us want to keep discus atleast once in life. Please participate in the poll.

Post if your opinion is not included in the POLL.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
cichlids
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: What do you think about Discus Fish?

Unread post by cichlids »

I've kept discus before. My suggestion is.. while buying discus buy it from a genuine supplier so that they are healthy.
Before when I was keeping discus. I had around 20 discus with me but kept on loosing one by one.
Discus demand more time and care.
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

Discus keeping == Proper quarantine , Deworming , huge water change , Bare bottom ugly tank (Though some people have kept them in planted tank successfully, but bare bottom is best suited for raising babies.) , couple of Eheim Jaggers to maintain exact temp..................

These r the reason i always dream of keeping discus but never actually made it.............

They definitely require more time n care
Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Achintya »

I kept discus from 2006 to 2012.without any doubt I love this fish very much and during this period I did all maintainance jobs to keep my discus happy.I also gain a little bit knowledge during this period.

I'll definitely keep discus again,but this time it will be Wild caught.If I keep discus again then it will be wild caught only and nothing else. recently I fall in love with this wild discus and do soem study on that.if everything goes well then may add this within 1-2 years :)
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

I again want to keep but don't have space to own a tank bigger than 90X45X45 cm.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

SCORPIO wrote:I again want to keep but don't have space to own a tank bigger than 90X45X45 cm.
still you will be able to keep 6 adult discus with proper filtration system.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

I like them but have no plans to keep them as of now and have never thought about keeping them
Sushant
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Achintya wrote:still you will be able to keep 6 adult discus with proper filtration system.
Again you inspiring me. backparise

Planning started! Six Discus with lots of woods. Source would me again Shiva Nair. I have to choose he strains of Discus.... Any other reliable seller? I will start with small fishes.

Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Apart from Shiva i see some ads by Ip discus India.they are importing Tony tan's discus.but price will be on higher side.
still I would stick on mr. Shiva.
pinaki_pal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by pinaki_pal »

SCORPIO wrote:
Again you inspiring me. backparise

Planning started! Six Discus with lots of woods. Source would me again Shiva Nair. I have to choose he strains of Discus.... Any other reliable seller? I will start with small fishes.
Rajivji.......there r some discus strain available which looks like wild caught...but actually is tank bred....i am talking about some brown colored discus with vertical stripes .... in my opinion those will be best suited for your set up........

If we add sufficient hardy plants like crypt or anubias then won't these plants absorb most of the nitrate ?? Resulting less frequent water change ??