Some of my Discus Pics

Forum dedicated to the Discus fish.
Kalyan
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Some of my Discus Pics

Unread post by Kalyan »

Hello guys , i am going to share some of my discus pics which were bought a year ago . They were 26 days ( Coin size )that time and now they are 5" in diameter . Hope you guys like it :).

jack

Re: Some of my Discus Pics

Unread post by jack »

Splendid ... Lovely growth, shape, size, color

Can you please share your tank details and the care you take for these beauties ...
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
Kalyan
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Kalyan »

Tank: 6x2x2
Filter: In Built Trickle with 3 chambers . Sponges , Ceramics , Bio Balls and Activated Carbon. Eheim compact+ 3000 pump .
Thermostat: Eheim Jagger 300 wt
Lighting: DIY LED ( 8 pc each 10 wt ) and 2 philips 11 wt pll .

Feeding. During juvi stage i used to feed them live tubifex ( cured ) . Then after i started feeding Tetra Bits , Hikari Bio Gold , Tetra Bits Vitality and Sera Discus Blue/Red.

Water Change: Before when it was low tech planted tank ( Sharing the pic ) I used to change water weekly 50% . But from feeding live tubifex , i faced leech infestation so i have to dismantle the whole tank. Now they are on Bare bottom tank and i just do daily siphoning and by cleaning the glass and fill the tank with aged water .

Sharing My Experience as i was a first time Discus Keeper.

Just some points i would like to share . I got them from SIddhartha Biswas ( Da ) when they were 26 Days old :D . He helped me from the beginning and Sourav da also :D . So thanks both of you . My qt process was also very simple . The day they came ,i used rock salt for the 1st day ( 100 gm /100 ltrs ) with aeration. Next day i started dosing Potassium Permanganate 4 times a day between every 5 hrs . After 24hrs 50% wc was done and the dosing continued for 3 days . How did i make a solution of PP >> ( One pinch of pp in a half cup of water <> Took a 5ml Syringe and started dosing till the water coloration becomes light pink ) . After PP dosing i started AntiBiotic Treatment . I took hostacycline 500 mg capsules and put 6 of them ( 100 ltrs of water ) that continued for 3 days more without any water changes . In between no deworming was done. That means it took 7 days for me to QT my fishes . After that i introduced them in the main tank which was actually a low tech planted tank . At juvi age , i used to feed them Live tubifex ( Cured ) and after that Tetra bits . ( Now they feed on Hikari Bio Gold , Tetra Bits , Sera Discus Blue/Red & Tetra Bits Vitality ) . Between Mid January two of my turqs shown some Constipation Issues. That time i transferred both of them and started deworming process which was also very easy . Took 6 Metrogyl Tabs and continued for 6 days with daily 50% water changes and re dosing . After the 6 days deworming process was complete , i found that still they are not eager to eat . I was really worried and i started talking with Discus Experts all around the globe :P LOL .. Even i talked with Expert Achintya SIr , he again recommends me of Metrogyl which was already done by me. Then i came to know a guy from Portugal ( Sorry i forgot his name ) from facebook . I explained my problem to him and he asked me that i have any kinds of worm infestation in my tank. I looked carefully and found some snake like worms in my tank which was basically swimming around the whole tank . I quickly took a photo and shared with him . He told me that this are NEMATODES. He explained me that most of this worms are parasitic which causes Internal problems but some are also scavengers who helps to reduce organic waste along with filter worms in a tank. He said " As my 2 fishes are not eating even after a deworming was done , he asked me to nuke my main tank , keeping the discus in it . He referred me a tab named "Levamisole" and he warned me also that this medicine might kill my entire stock and asked me to use only if i want ( SO i am not recommending this to any of u ) . I took a quick decision and decided to use this . He asked me to put 3 of it 0.5 mg with filters running . He said to keep an eye for atleast 1 hr and also said that if i see any abnormality , then quickly i have to perform 70% water change . He said that the water will become cloudy withing minutes as this medicine will kill all the worms in the tank including filter worms and all my Beneficial Bacteria will be dead . I kept a close look for an 1hr to see any weird things in my tank . But all was ok . Next day i performed a 30% water change and after that i was shocked to see that the two infected fishes started eating like pigs :P . I informed him quickly and he was very happy that i have nuked my tank properly :P :)) He shared me this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthelmintic hope this helps to the people who are into fish keeping . If you guys have any question feel free to ask me :)

SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Very nice and healthy discus. Your experience expalaination will also be helpful for other members.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Kalyan
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Kalyan »

Ty Sir .
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

The challenge of keeping such large fish in a bare bottomed tank and cleaning it every day still remains.
jack

Unread post by jack »

Wow like the way you explained .... Great care
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
Pintoo
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Pintoo »

woow discus.
sub
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sub »

very healthy discus also nice experience shared .
Kalyan
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Kalyan »

Thank you all :)