New Star of AquaPetZ!

Few queries on Discus keeping in Hi-Tech Planted Tank

Unread post by SanamMarik »

I have 3 concerns to mention-
1) 20ppm+ NO3 ppm
2) V high flow fr eg 5000lph fr a 150L tank
3) v high lights

1) from what i know is Discus can do well till 15ppm NO3
2) Discus dont like much flow that we normally know however i have recently read somewhere that high flow keeps them active rather than being lethargic. Dont know abt its validity.
3) when last September a pair in my tank laid eggs, they chose d darkest spot for that which makes me feel that they might not be liking lights much nd prefer dusky environment.

Please shed some experience on these points... :)

Ps. Wasnt sure if you asked to post the queries in this very thread or to open a new thread. So, if inappropriate, please feel free to relocate to appropriate section. :)
Last edited by SanamMarik on Fri Feb 12, 2016 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sushant

Re: Few queries on Discus keeping

Unread post by sushant »

I tried relocating this in appropriate sub-forum.
Sushant
SanamMarik
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Few queries on Discus keeping

Thank You Sushant for taking the trouble to relocate... my bad :(
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Few queries on Discus keeping in Hi-Tech Planted Tank

Unread post by SCORPIO »

First of all dont go for a hi-tech planted aquarium to keep discus.
1. Discus loves to live in 28+ temperature while most of the aquatic plants performs better under 24-25 degree celcius. You have to choose hardy plants for discus tank.
Foreground: Marselia hirsuta, Anubias pettite, Saggitaria subulata, Hair grass etc.
Midground: Jave fern, Anubias sp., Ceratopteris thalictroides, Amazon swords, Cryptocoryne sp. etc.
Background: Rotala rotundofolia, Java fern over woods, Ceratopteris thalictroides, Hornwort etc.

All of the above mentioned plants need medium light and need less care in comparison of other aquatic plants.
These plants will also provide shade and hiding places for your discus.

Keep medium flow of water in your aquarium.

Now come NO3, Most of the aquatic plants consumes Ammonia and Nitrite. If there is low amount of Ammonia and Nitrite, it will produce less amount of Nitrate. Some floating plants are also known as to consume hug amount of all of these elements and provides shade to discus. You can introduce Amazon frogbit and water lettuce as floating plants in your aquarium to consume extra nutrients.

Lots of plants will also reduce the flow in your aquarium.

Now come on water change: Change around 50% of water twice a week. Never forget to remove all the uneaten food and debris. You can also add some bottom dwellers like as shrims to consume uneaten food. They will also provide occasionally live food to your discus.

And in last the most important point is CONTROLLED FEEDING to maintain healthy environment inside your aquarium.

Best of Luck.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
SanamMarik
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Thank you for the clarifications! Actually I was thinking for a Dutch layout and Discus. but it seems like smthing very fragile to keep going... :(
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

SanamMarik wrote:Thank you for the clarifications! Actually I was thinking for a Dutch layout and Discus. but it seems like smthing very fragile to keep going... :(
It is difficult to keep discus in a dutch style but not impossible. I will help you in setting up your dutch style discus tank. Just finalize tank size, hardware etc. and post. I will list the suitable plants for your tank.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

SanamMarik
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

To be honest I have just joined here and the kind of support you are providing is like you know me for a long time, hats off to you!! you dont know evn if I will be able to maintain a dutch tank still you are ready to help. this is Great and rare I must say! Actually i honestly didnt except such support while joining. thanks a lot for keeping the stay so warm and welcoming...

coming to the topic- for this very purpose I have setup a small scale dutch tank around 100days back. the tank is quite hi tech i think(please correct me if I am wrong) and has the following specifications-

Tank Size - 36"x18"x18"
Working Water Volume- 145L
Filter + Surface Skimmer- SunSun HW-302 3 stage external canister filter 1000lph
Additional Flow - SUNSUN JVP - 110 Wave Maker 2000lph (initially I used 800lph power head)
Lights - Osram T5 21watts 6500K x 3 + local T5 Blue x 1(blue added after cycling of tank)
Photo Period-10 Hours
Water Column Height - 14"
Distance between Light and Water Surface - < 1cm
Reflector- DIY with Thermocol, Art papers, Adhesive and food Packaging Grade Aluminium Foil. One will also require a hair drier to heat bend the thermocol sheet.
Substrate - DIY -> 3.5kg Soilrite capped with 20kg Sand Gravel
CO2- 1.5 BPS (citric acid Baking Soda Reactor)
Diffuser- New Diffuser G-025-L
Exhaust-1 CPU 0.15Amp 12V Fan
Dosing- MacroLab->Grade NPK, Micro- Rexolin CXK, Rexolin EDTA Fe
Dosing Targets-NPK 20, 6, 40
WC Schedule- Once Week 60-70%

Plant list-
1) Alternanthera Reineckii
2) Lysimachia Nummularia Aurea
3) Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini'
4) Vallisneria Nana
5) Microsorum pteropus
6) Hemianthus Micranthemoides
7) Staurogyne Repens
8) Heteranthera Zosterifolia
9) Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
10) Marsilea Hirsuta
11) Pogostemon Helferi
12) Blyxa Japonica
13) Ludwigia Macrandra 'Pink' (presently withered away due to micro issues, got to try again)
14) Limnophila Aromatica 'Purple'
15) Bacopa Australis
16) Ludwigia Repens 'Rubin'

As I mentioned in the starting the concerns are related to this type of tank. And I am not quite sure how the fishes will do.

The monster tank I will be making once I gain some more experience in growing plants. may be two years from now. Presently I am acclimatizing the fishes to planted in a hospital tank...where I dose ferts but no co2 dosing as of now.

this is how far I have progressed till now. kindly share your views on this... :)
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

SanamMarik wrote:To be honest I have just joined here and the kind of support you are providing is like you know me for a long time, hats off to you!! you dont know evn if I will be able to maintain a dutch tank still you are ready to help. this is Great and rare I must say! Actually i honestly didnt except such support while joining. thanks a lot for keeping the stay so warm and welcoming...
I always try to help aquarists without any hesitation.
SanamMarik wrote:Tank Size - 36"x18"x18"
Keep 5 adult discus in this tank.
SanamMarik wrote:Plant list-
1) Alternanthera Reineckii
2) Lysimachia Nummularia Aurea
3) Alternanthera Reineckii 'Mini'
4) Vallisneria Nana
5) Microsorum pteropus
6) Hemianthus Micranthemoides
7) Staurogyne Repens
8) Heteranthera Zosterifolia
9) Myriophyllum Mattogrossense
10) Marsilea Hirsuta
11) Pogostemon Helferi
12) Blyxa Japonica
13) Ludwigia Macrandra 'Pink' (presently withered away due to micro issues, got to try again)
14) Limnophila Aromatica 'Purple'
15) Bacopa Australis
16) Ludwigia Repens 'Rubin'
You have to change the plant list. Some of above mentioned are ok with your discus tank but some are not able to thrive in high temperature.
Another thing, dutch style aquascape do not means a long list of plants. Dutch style tanks have stem plants with blending of colors. You can easily choose some hard plants for your aquascape.

One more thing, I want to say that most of the plants can be grown in 28 degree celcius. In high temperature, metabolism of aquatic plants increases and they need more nutrients and CO2 to survive/thrive. You can also grow these plants in high temperature. They also need high amount of Carbon and fertilizers which are not suitable for the health of discus. Some select low requirement plants.

SanamMarik
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Dutch is my proirity. I wont be able to compromise there sadly. :(
Regarding the temp issue- yes i am aware that metabolism increases. Last summer i was able to grow many plants @32-34C. This brings another issue now. Temp never stays @28-30 in my planted tanks due to lighys nd equipment. :|

Will share a pic of the setup shortly.
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

Some nice discussion going on.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60