Limia nigrofasciata

Forum for Livebearers.
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Limia nigrofasciata

Unread post by Naufil »

Recently came to know about this fish. Looks like a nice fish for planted tanks. Stays small in size and is peaceful. Most reviews by keepers were favorable.
I am to see a live one yet. So I was wondering if anybody has experience of keeping this fish? any stories you would like to share? anything.
~thanks
sumer
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Limia nigrofasciata

Unread post by sumer »

A beautiful livebearer from Poeciliidae family. Often mistaken to be tiger limia. Good fry eater. Don't like ammonia build up at all and can die overnight without showing any stress signs. Like to be in good oxygenated water with mild current (*hint: might not like VERY heavy flow in the planted tank). If they are in planted tank, clean up dead leaves, uneaten food etc frequently. Don't let the ammonia build up.
Other than that, they are awesome fish. Also known as humpback livebearer. Pretty prolific. Like somewhat basic water (pH from 7-8). Eat pretty much everything you throw in the tank. Males love to show off and are more colorful.
Overall an easy to keep fish with little maintenance requirement.

Here's a photo that I made recently while working with them:
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
My aquarium photography: Plays Of Rays
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

To me they look somewhat like silver mollies with hump :), but after reading a bit about them they do look like a a fine addition to planted tank. But I'm yet to see them sold here.
Sushant
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

@Sumer, thanks for the nice explanation and the picture. It seems the fish is a tad more sensitive than the rest of the livebearers. On a side note: your location reads Fort Collins, CO. That CO is for Coimbatore right?

@Sushant, True. one of the reasons I was asking here was to know about the availability of the species. Never seen one in Delhi LFS myself.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Sumer, a very nice fish. Never saw this fish in Delhi.

Naufil, He is in US.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Naufil
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Naufil »

SCORPIO wrote: Naufil, He is in US.
okay. oops