The goldfish thread.

Forum for discuss about Goldies and Koies.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Re: The goldfish thread.

Unread post by Romi »

yes, kolkata and chennai have a few remaining good quality breeders.

when i have no chance of keeping fish left, i shift to goldfish. if u give them enough space and water changes plus filtration, u do not have to worry about much else.

i found my last quality orandas, lionheads, and shubunkins in Delhi in 2006 (a decade past!). now the breeders no longer send them here coz not enough goldfish experts live in Delhi who would appreciate quality fish.

i am pleased to see Black Ranchus, KarthickC. Geeth is right, in LAxminagar, u have to sift through hundred of fish before u can find a quality goldfish, the quality is that bad.

i did find quality Pearlscales 3 years ago in Anand Parbat, Royal Aquarium. Currently i have just 4 single tail goldfish (a ghost comet, a shubunkin, and two bronze comets) and one Black Oranda (latter has a defect, a deeply forked caudal that is not even completely double) but it makes me happy and i kept it for that reason alone.

KarthickC, i am delighted to see black Ranchus! Please show us a side profile of each, i think one of them might be perfect :) (The one that is uppermost) Is the one on the left a Ranchu with a single tail? That would be fun to have :)
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

PS

It is a mistake to think that Goldfish eat ALL PLANTS. they do not. They not only leave anubias alone, they never touch Dwarf Onions which i always have :)

Hornwort is a great plant for Goldfish tanks, they do not like it so much, they eat it but it grows so fast, they can't eat it up that fast! The plant wins.

Another excellent plant for goldfish is Hydrilla verticellata. It also grows so fast, they get tired of eating it and it is a super plant. Wish i could find it again.
KarthikC

Unread post by KarthikC »

I will post them Romiji. One of them has a slight deformity as in the dorsal fin is appearing like a thread near the tail. No heart to give it back so it's just there.

Coming to plants: when I started the hobby I used to have the "Amazon sword tail" plant with the goldfish with no problems. I was an elite plant back then :D

Cheers,

Karthik

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jack

Unread post by jack »

Watching this thread looks like i wanna go back to goldies :p
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
bobvin
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by bobvin »

Most of the hobbyist starts with goldies but finding good quality golds is painful.
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

One solution is to breed quality goldfish and exchange fry with other goldfish lovers.

They are truly easy to breed, but fry raising is a learning process few people want to complete. Luckily, gold fish fry can take Tetrabits powder and suspension of egg yolk, both are easy to do for even those who do not like live food. You have to grind the dry food in a 'hammam dasta' or pestle and mortar.

i have bred comet goldfish. This is not the season, since temps are sky high, but nobody told my Shubunkin this!

She keeps laying eggs with a Comet goldfish papa. She has good colour and papa has good shape, so i am hoping some day i can get a perfect shubunkin with both light blue colour (marked with some black and a spot of orange) and good body shape, in one fish.

with good care, a goldfish will never need a heater in winters, can eat cheap foods like boiled cucumber and spinach (if u run out of Tetrabits or Hikari for a while), can can live for over 40 years (single tail/shallow body variety, double tails/round bodies can do 10 years with average care). So i feel finding a goldfish that you LIKE is great. Never keep one that you do not like because then you will neglect it; and, it will die prematurely. It is easy to neglect a fish that you do not want, and goldfishes always seem to know when they are unwanted :oops: .... or bought too cheaply! Swimming quietly one day, gone the next.
KarthikC

Very true Romiji. Can we feast our eyes on ur goldies ?

Cheers,

Karthik

KarthikC

One of my ranchus.

Cheers,

Karthik

vikramdutta11
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!