I want to start with a fish tank

Discuss and post all things other than hobby.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

I want to start with a fish tank

Unread post by apuda2010 »

I am inspired to start this topic after reading Parthapratim (and everyone else's) comments on lack of newbies posting on the forum.

THIS TOPIC IS FOR NEWBIES. All of you registered on Aquapetz who are new to the hobby , please join this post and start writing in.

In this post , I intend, with your help to discuss and learn on the journey of setting up your tank for the first time.

Please do share the following :

1. Where did you buy the tank from ?
2. What size is the tank ?
3. Did you buy fish , stones/pebbles and lights etc also with the tank ?
4. How good is the water in your locality ?
5. Did you read up on the fish you purchased before you went to the store ?
6. Have there been any unnatural deaths in the tank since you set it up ? When and how did these happen ?
7. What food are you feeding your fish ?
8. What next ? What are you planning to do with the tank ?
9. Whom is the tank for ? Your own hobby ? Kids in the house ?
10. Are you a photographer ? Yes ? Then post some pics....No ? Doesn't matter....post some pics
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: I want to start with a fish tank

Unread post by Abhi »

:1 :goodpost This way people even expericend may learn from the mistakes some of us make. Most of the experiences would look the same but still then there maybe some where in new learning may show up.
MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
aquadream
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by aquadream »

:1 Good intiative

cheers
Rajeev
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

1. Where did you buy the tank from ?
Ans. Starting days, brought tank from LFS but now Aamir always help me in making new tank. It is best for us to made tank by own or with the help of other hobbyists.

2. What size is the tank ?

Ans: Before deciding about Tank size consider following:
a. What fishes you want to keep. Future plannings should be made prior.
b. Available space.
c. Budget.

3. Did you buy fish , stones/pebbles and lights etc also with the tank ?
Ans. A big NO for fishes with tank. Fishes should be introduce in tank after a few days. If you are starting tank from level 0, buy lights, stones/pebbles etc. along with tank. If you are able to collect rocks/pebbles/woods from wild, that will be best.

4. How good is the water in your locality ?
Ans: Most important resource for fishes. Good water always care aquatic pets. If water parameters not met to the fish/invertebrates requirements, keeping aquarium will be a little bit expensive. So choose fishes according to your water parameters or be ready to invest in water.

5. Did you read up on the fish you purchased before you went to the store?
Ans: There should be make a little research before buying any fish. Most of LFS guys always try to sold their fishes. They have no hesitation to advice a newbie to keep gold fish in a arowana or flowerhorn tank.

6. Have there been any unnatural deaths in the tank since you set it up ? When and how did these happen ?
Ans: Although I am not entitled to answer this question according to author of the post. But I will try to answer.
Always keep an eye on the fishes in a new tank. In the starting days of hobby, my fishes never seen another week.

7. What food are you feeding your fish ?
Ans. I offers Tetra bits and other flake foods to my fishes. Before years I spends Rs. 40 on fish food packet and encounter with sudden fish death. Romi suggest me to spend more money of fish food. And I start to buy Tetra bits. Thanks God. After this is my favorite food for fishes. I also offers choped vegetables to fishes.

8. What next ? What are you planning to do with the tank ?
Ans. Planted tanks and planted tank.

9. Whom is the tank for ? Your own hobby ? Kids in the house ?
Ans. Now my kids, wife, mother, father, brothers -- All the family members like aquarium and fishes. But unfortunately nobody take interests in maintaining the aquariums. Although when I travels, my wife and younger brother cares the aquarium.

10. Are you a photographer ? Yes ? Then post some pics....No ? Doesn't matter....post some pics
Ans: :nocom
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

If I say what I did with my tank and fish before my higher studies, when I was in Bhubaneswar or Hyderabad for job, its all mistakes, and after that I learned a lot from such posts.
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60
amchigeli
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by amchigeli »

1. Where did you buy the tank from ?-aquarium shop
2. What size is the tank ?-2*1*1(2nos),3*1.5*1.5(1no)
3. Did you buy fish , stones/pebbles and lights etc also with the tank ?-yes.
4. How good is the water in your locality ?-borewell water :(
5. Did you read up on the fish you purchased before you went to the store ?-not at the start. My father thaught me. Now i read
6. Have there been any unnatural deaths in the tank since you set it up ? When and how did these happen ? yes, due to white spots
7. What food are you feeding your fish ? from shop, something chinise
8. What next ? What are you planning to do with the tank ?-planted, planted, planted :clp
9. Whom is the tank for ? Your own hobby ? Kids in the house ? I, me, myself :oops:
10. Are you a photographer ? Yes ? Then post some pics....No ? Doesn't matter....post some pics-i can take some decent picts.

This is my first post other than in the introduction. forgive me for any mistakes. nice to see such serious people into aquarium here. wish to learn a lot more

thanks.
jack

Unread post by jack »

1. Where did you buy the tank from ?-aquarium shop

2. What size is the tank ?-2.5*1*1

3. Did you buy fish , stones/pebbles and lights etc also with the tank ?-yes, everything

4. How good is the water in your locality ? Municipal water

5. Did you read up on the fish you purchased before you went to the store ?-nope never, as a kid just brought dumped everything and killed :(

6. Have there been any unnatural deaths in the tank since you set it up ? When and how did these happen ? yes, due to white spots, agression in small tank, over crowding (lack of reading and as a kid dump everything i find colorfull)

7. What food are you feeding your fish ? ADA series, Hikari Series, Cyclopese and many more

8. What next ? What are you planning to do with the tank ? Marine, Tang, Planted and the list continues :LOL

9. Whom is the tank for ? Your own hobby ? Kids in the house ? I, me, myself

10. Are you a photographer ? Yes ? Then post some pics....No ? Doesn't matter....post some pics-i can take some decent pics, ll post in few days
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
Vishaal
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Vishaal »

1. Where did you buy the tank from ? I actualy got a second and tank from my mother inlaw who gave it up because her fish kept dying.
2. What size is the tank ? 2' x 18" x 12"
3. Did you buy fish , stones/pebbles and lights etc also with the tank ? no I collected these from local areas.
4. How good is the water in your locality ? ok slightly hard
5. Did you read up on the fish you purchased before you went to the store ? yup I only wanted hardy varieties till the tank cycled so I have Mollies, Sword tails and 3 spotted gourami.
6. Have there been any unnatural deaths in the tank since you set it up ? When and how did these happen ? one death now the tank is 14 days old but my filter packed up yesterday so new filter and cycling again.
7. What food are you feeding your fish ? tropical fish food, frozen peas which have been crushed.
8. What next ? What are you planning to do with the tank ? already planted with Amazon and some plant similar to amazon but with small Rhizomes below the roots
9. Whom is the tank for ? Your own hobby ? Kids in the house ? everyone.
Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Achintya »

apuda2010 wrote: 1. Where did you buy the tank from ?
first of all,i like to say that i am from kolkata.and here in kolkata we are so proud of buro da,who is the best tank maker.i always give order to him and he makes those for me.
apuda2010 wrote: 2. What size is the tank ?
i have 2 tanks at present.one is 24-12-18 tank(rimless,extra clear glue,6mm) and another is 48-18-18(rimless,12mm,extra clear glue).both of them are made of saint gobain extra polished glass.
apuda2010 wrote: 3. Did you buy fish , stones/pebbles and lights etc also with the tank ?
NO,first i decide which type of tank i'll make.then do the rest accordingly.also add fishes only after nitrogen cycle.
apuda2010 wrote: 4. How good is the water in your locality ?
at least iron free,ph is 7.5 but i have to take care of chlorine specially in rainy season.
apuda2010 wrote: 5. Did you read up on the fish you purchased before you went to the store ?
obviously yes,plus i have to wait for few of my fishes,which are not always available.
apuda2010 wrote: 6. Have there been any unnatural deaths in the tank since you set it up ? When and how did these happen ?
many a times.heart attack of discus is a common.
apuda2010 wrote: 7. What food are you feeding your fish ?
for apistogramma i feed them liveworms,for cardinal tetra i feed them do aqua tropical mix,do aqua garlic,ADA AP2,tetra bits.
apuda2010 wrote: 8. What next ? What are you planning to do with the tank ?
a wild caught discus tank.
apuda2010 wrote: 9. Whom is the tank for ? Your own hobby ? Kids in the house ?
for me and my parents.
yes i started this hobby when i was 5 years of age.
NO,unmarried ;)
apuda2010 wrote: 10. Are you a photographer ? Yes ? Then post some pics....No ? Doesn't matter....post some pics
:LOL :nocom
parthapratim22

Unread post by parthapratim22 »

Learning from each post, helping me for my coming fish only tanks!!!Someday ;)
Aquascaping Products and Designs http://aquapetz.com/viewforum.php?f=60