I want to start with a fish tank

Discuss and post all things other than hobby.
aamir
Experts
Experts

Re: I want to start with a fish tank

Unread post by aamir »

Achintya wrote:ADA tank :o wow
yep ADA (Aqua Disign Aamir ) :roll :roll :roll
Fb....(aamir.khan.180072@facebook.com)
New number 9560682201
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

aamir wrote:
Achintya wrote:ADA tank :o wow
yep ADA (Aqua Disign Aamir ) :roll :roll :roll
Achintya trolled :LOL :LOL
Achintya
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Achintya »

:roll :LOL :dua
earnest
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by earnest »

Hi all Thanks for giving us newbies a chance to open our mouth.. am mostly left speechless, and my jaws are usually dropped when I see all you masters post pics of your beautiful tanks.
Who made the tank? I got my first tank assembled at my home. A friend reintroduced me into the hobby and sent the person to make the tank. (next time I made my own tanks !! lol)
The first is a 3'x 1' x 2' (lbh, it is home to goldfishes (a firstimer's first love) I killed many of them :( before i learnt to get the parameters right!
The second is a narrow one. I made it myself. it's 43" x 10" x 18". It houses tinfoil barbs, dollars, chiclids, and tiger barbs! No casualties there.
The third is a planted tank that I got into last year. still learning to get things right. This tank is a narrow one too, with the same dimensions.

Substrate: Yes, I had to choose and buy the substrate for each of the tanks. I put marble chips in coz that's what the LFS give you. Then read somewhere on the net that it shouldn't be used, so threw them out and used pebbles and sand respectively.
For the planted tank I did a DIY substrate after reading up loads on the subject. Whatever plants i have are doing okay as of now. Took guidance from Rajiv ji, abhradip and read all the info you all posted on the forum, and of course read up all else, and chose the best fit!
Future plans This morning itself I called Rajiv ji to confirm abt a diy substrate lol. Am planning to make a broader tank for the planted aquarium set up. Haven't decided on the size yet. I have a 4ft x 18 inches counter which I can use to house the new tank. any suggestions on the best size. will keep it low tech, but may go for injected co2 soon.

Who do i do it for? For myself! My mother and friends appreciate it. (have passed on the hobby bug to a friend too)

What did I learn from my mistakes: I made several mistakes with water temperatures, and filtration in the beginning. Get municipal water supply from the river. water is not very hard.
Why do i like aquapetz I have found very warm, welcoming, and helpful hobbyists who are keen and honest in sharing their knowledge and talent. It's a great portal with a wealth of information. Other portals are great too! But I somehow find myself more among friends and do not feel intimidated. Thank you ALL for making me feel welcome, and feel like a part of this family!
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

@Earnest...welcome to Aquapetz. Very nice write up. I liked the fact that you have passed on the hobby bug to a friend. Super !!

Why don't you post some pictures of your current tank ?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

apuda2010 wrote:@Earnest...welcome to Aquapetz. Very nice write up. I liked the fact that you have passed on the hobby bug to a friend. Super !!

Why don't you post some pictures of your current tank ?
Still in the processing of making a planted tank.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
earnest
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by earnest »

I've been tinkering with the planted tank set up for a year.
Non-availability of plants, being a newbie, topped with lack of supplies, moolah and time has resulted in stunted progress.
I do have this tank up and running for a good 9 months now (had moved the plants from a smaller tank that i started in October to the new one in Jan.)
Have mainly Amazons and echinodorus family plants there at the moment.
The pic is not that great.. Am wondering how to rescape it. the tank is narrow and long. All you wonderful creative people, pl suggest.
Here's a pic.

Rajiv ji.. i'm playing with the thought of starting another smaller and broader tank. Found someone who had solirite, cocopeat and vermiculite, so went ahead and bought it.. for the upcoming set up. i learnt it's better to be patient... so collecting things.
Will be trying to get plants couriered once the temperatures settle down a bit. It's still hot.
I'll try uploading a pic. Hope it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Earnest - we are going to have an Aquapetz meeting on the 7th of October. What plants do you need ? Send us a wish list - maybe some of us can chip in with cuttings etc.
earnest
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by earnest »

apuda2010 wrote:Earnest - we are going to have an Aquapetz meeting on the 7th of October. What plants do you need ? Send us a wish list - maybe some of us can chip in with cuttings etc.
in hindi we say.."neki, aur pooch pooch?"
waise I always thought "Beggars(that's me) can't be choosers!" :D so will gladly take anything that I get! :)
But here's my wish list (your throw aways) to begin with
Hygrophila balsamica
Najas indica
Ammania gracilis
Ammania senegalensis (red)
Bacopa monnieri
Cabomba caroliana
Rotala rotundifolia
Rotala wallichi
Shinersia rivularis
Ludwigia glandulosa-Red
I would also like to have
java moss
Bolbitis heudelottii
Windelov fern (when the weather is good) will watch out the wts section.. unless someone is giving these away too!!

will add to this list.. i'm sure i've missed wht's in your tank, so plz oblige and enlighten !! lolz
Thank you all.. greetings and regards!!

PS:Also I'm looking for this plant .. have lost its name or am confused.. if anyone has this.. I'd love to have it back in my tank.. it grew like crazy in my tank.. and then just disappeared with the rising temp..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

earnest wrote:
apuda2010 wrote:E
PS:Also I'm looking for this plant .. have lost its name or am confused.. if anyone has this.. I'd love to have it back in my tank.. it grew like crazy in my tank.. and then just disappeared with the rising temp..
this is hornwort.
Sushant