Plant Tissue Culture

Discuss and post all things other than hobby.
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: Plant Tissue Culture

Unread post by maaz »

Hi Frank Welcome to the forum...

Wow That nice videos you have upload...thanks for reply and links i sure Contact them and tell me what kind of mix you are using and what you experience regarding these...and did you every done tissue culture of Aquatic plants...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
Frankco
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Frankco »

Hi Maaz,

Thank you very much.

The nutrient mix most used for aquatic plants is Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium. It is comprised of 14 chemicals. You can purchase premixed packets which you dissolve in distilled water. Each packet would make a liter of media. You would use about 30ml of media per small jar.

You can probably use just liquid media and not have to use agar which adds costs. The only thing that agar does is support plants to keep them from drowning. Since aquatic plants do not have this problem agar shouldn't be needed. They probably will multiply better without agar anyway.

There are two plant growth regulators you may need for aquatic plants. BAP and NAA. It might be possible to just use BAP. BAP is used for shoot multiplication and NAA is used to produce roots. In many cases eliminating the BAP and lowering the concentration of nutrients and sugar may produce good roots. I suspect this is the case with aquatic plants.
(6-benzylaminopurine (BAP), α-naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA))

You would need to add 30 grams of sugar (sucrose) to the media. The plants use this as an enrgy source.

There are many steps involved in plant tissue culture. It is hard to list every detail in a post. I think there are some websites which list detailed steps. I'll try to find some.

I have not worked with aquatic plants yet but I am interested in trying. If I do perhaps I can detail the procedure and post the results.

I know some people from India who do plant tissue culture. They get their supplies from Hi Media Laboratories. I don’t know what their prices are though.

Dr. Carol Stiff in the US sells to India. Her prices are very good. I don’t know what the shipping charges would be to India. Dr. Carol Stiff’s website is at http://www.hometissueculture.org
Her email address is sales@hometissueculture.org

Hi Media Laboratories
23 Vadhani Industrial Estate, L B S Marg, Ghatkopar (west)
Mumbai, MH 400086, India
022 25000653
himedialabs.com‎

In my very small room I can produce 100,000 plants in my spare time (weekends). I think it is possible to start a business from your home doing this if one desires. It takes time to learn the procedures but it does get easier as time goes by.

This is me in my small room with jars and test tubes of plants.

Frank
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Nice explanation!

At present I have following:
1. NAA - 25 gram
2. Magnesium sulfate (MgSO4 · 7H2O)
3. Potassium phosphate (KH2PO4)
4. Potassium nitrate (KNO3)
5. Boric acid (H3BO3)
6. Ferrous sulfate (FeSO4 · 7H2O)
7. Zinc sulfate (ZnSO4·7H2O) 8.6 mg/l
8. Sucrose
9. Agar (Misplaced somewhere at home)

What are other essential which I need?
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sreeram
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by sreeram »

thanks for sharing the website.. Frankco
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

Frankco wrote:Hi Maaz,

Thank you very much.

The nutrient mix most used for aquatic plants is Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium. It is comprised of 14 chemicals. You can purchase premixed packets which you dissolve in distilled water. Each packet would make a liter of media. You would use about 30ml of media per small jar.

You can probably use just liquid media and not have to use agar which adds costs. The only thing that agar does is support plants to keep them from drowning. Since aquatic plants do not have this problem agar shouldn't be needed. They probably will multiply better without agar anyway.

There are two plant growth regulators you may need for aquatic plants. BAP and NAA. It might be possible to just use BAP. BAP is used for shoot multiplication and NAA is used to produce roots. In many cases eliminating the BAP and lowering the concentration of nutrients and sugar may produce good roots. I suspect this is the case with aquatic plants.
(6-benzylaminopurine (BAP), α-naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA))

You would need to add 30 grams of sugar (sucrose) to the media. The plants use this as an enrgy source.

There are many steps involved in plant tissue culture. It is hard to list every detail in a post. I think there are some websites which list detailed steps. I'll try to find some.

I have not worked with aquatic plants yet but I am interested in trying. If I do perhaps I can detail the procedure and post the results.

I know some people from India who do plant tissue culture. They get their supplies from Hi Media Laboratories. I don’t know what their prices are though.

Dr. Carol Stiff in the US sells to India. Her prices are very good. I don’t know what the shipping charges would be to India. Dr. Carol Stiff’s website is at http://www.hometissueculture.org
Her email address is sales@hometissueculture.org

Hi Media Laboratories
23 Vadhani Industrial Estate, L B S Marg, Ghatkopar (west)
Mumbai, MH 400086, India
022 25000653
himedialabs.com‎

In my very small room I can produce 100,000 plants in my spare time (weekends). I think it is possible to start a business from your home doing this if one desires. It takes time to learn the procedures but it does get easier as time goes by.

This is me in my small room with jars and test tubes of plants.

[ Image ]

Frank
that was a nice piece of information
Sushant
devchitra

Unread post by devchitra »

a nice share. we can produce thousands of plant in months. seniors aquarist should try hands on plant tissue culture.
prajjwal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by prajjwal »

Very nice to have you here Mr. Frankco.

You have on hand practical experience on tissue culture for a long time. And your work inspired me to setup my very little PTC Lab and Grow-room in near future.

Thank you for sharing information.

Regards,

Prajjwal
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

Wow frank that very nice info...thanks for sharing ... i Just talk to them for Murashige and Skoog medium they will update me with there rate list and every details of the Media..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
prajjwal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by prajjwal »

maaz wrote:Wow frank that very nice info...thanks for sharing ... i Just talk to them for Murashige and Skoog medium they will update me with there rate list and every details of the Media..

please don't forget to share Maaz
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

Sure i will update here...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com