Plant Tissue Culture

Discuss and post all things other than hobby.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Plant Tissue Culture

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Frank, A lot of thanks for sharing your practical based knowledge.

I want to culture following plants:
1. Pogostemon helferi
2. Barclaya longifolia

For above mentioned plants, what should I need for successful culture.
Suppose I am to arrange a dedicated room for the plant tissue culture. Is there any other possible for this?

Can we used a big aquarium for this purpose? Please explain.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
maaz
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by maaz »

Frank Thanks allot for sharing your knowledge really its very helpful for all of us..and it will give right path for completing this project...

Guys decide what plants you all like to start with. I suggested hard and moderate plants both fast grower and slow grower also of us it will help us to compare what kind of growth we can get...Rajiv ji and Prajjwal decide which plants will be good to use for our project..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
Frankco
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Frankco »

Hellow Scorpio and Maaz,

I will try to help. I like the idea of a project and everyone working a similar plants.

A while ago I was wanting to work with aquatic plants but never got around to it. I was at the stage of picking one out and was learning about the different types. I do remember looking at Pogostemon helferi because I like way it looks. I wasn't familar with Barclaya longifolia until I just now when I looked it up.

Between the two Pogostemon helferi would easier since you can use shoots which would not be too difficult to disinfect. With Barclaya longifolia you have to use the tuber, I think, which presents a challenge of getting it clean or disinfecting it before placing it tissue culture.

That is by the way the hardest part of the whole process, disinfecting the piece of plant to remove all bacteria and fungus before placing it in tissue culture and without killing the plant. Everything else is easy compared to the process of disinfecting the piece of plant before placing it in tissue culture. It would a good idea for anyone want to try this, to practice is to place a piece of a plant is sugar water just to see if you were able to get the piece of a plant clean. The use of sugar water will save on wasting plant growth regulators and MS media. It's just a thought.

I have found a place to purchase Barclaya longifolia so I may pick one up to see how to work with it. I have not found a place in the US to purchase a Pogostemon helferi. I think they are new here and hard to find.

Scorpio, the ingredients I would use for either Pogostemon helferi or Barclaya longifolia would be
MS (Murashige & Skoog Basil Medium) plus Gaborg’s vitamins with 100 milligrams of Inositol which was on Titan's website.

Plant growth regulators needed are:

PCT1403 6-BAP solution
http://www.himedialabs.com/intl/en/prod ... on-PCT1403

PCT1402 NAA solution
http://www.himedialabs.com/intl/en/prod ... on-PCT1402

I will wait to see what others want to try.

Frank
Frankco
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Frankco »

Hi Scorpio,

I'm sorry. I did not answer your question about using a large aquarium.

The only thing you may want to use an aquarium for is making a glove box to transfer cutting into jars. It is not necessary to make a glove box. You can use a simple plastic tub. Aguariums do make good glove boxes and I would assume many people here have them :)

Glove boxes are very good at keeping contamination away from open jars of media. Contanimation is carried on fine dust particles floating in the air. When a dust particle lands in a jar of media contamination will develop.

I don’t use my glove anymore. I built a laminar flow hood. I did very well using my glove box and I always trusted that there would no contamination entering the jars from the air.
I found an old video I made 5 years ago that shows the glove box and will give you an idea on how it was made. I will try to edit the video and put it on the web somewhere.

Just to give you idease here are some things that people use to transfer cuttings into tissue culture. There are all sorts of ways to do this. The main idea it to keep dust from falling on your work area. You can get fancy or a simple box made out of PVC and plastic will work.

Frank
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

This arrangement is very good for me.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

maaz

Unread post by maaz »

RajivJi can you arrange MS from delhi..
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
maaz

Unread post by maaz »

Hello guys here is little update here

I just talk to Mr. Abhijit he from Titan Biotech Limited i told him that 5x1 liters is too much for me i dont need this much...he told me he have small packing of 2.65 gms Each vials contain 2.65 gm.It will be sufficient to make 1 Litre. Each set contains 5 vials cost is about 220 Rs...RajviJi and Prajjwal your opinion pls...
Regards,

Maaz Ahmad
maazahmad84@gmail.com
himansh
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by himansh »

any updateeeeeeeeee
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

maaz wrote:Hello guys here is little update here

I just talk to Mr. Abhijit he from Titan Biotech Limited i told him that 5x1 liters is too much for me i dont need this much...he told me he have small packing of 2.65 gms Each vials contain 2.65 gm.It will be sufficient to make 1 Litre. Each set contains 5 vials cost is about 220 Rs...RajviJi and Prajjwal your opinion pls...
Maaz, Please clear cost of set of 5 vials is Rs. 220 or each vial cost Rs. 220.

prajjwal
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by prajjwal »

SCORPIO wrote:
maaz wrote:Hello guys here is little update here

Maaz, Please clear cost of set of 5 vials is Rs. 220 or each vial cost Rs. 220.
:1