11 Footer Tank !!

Discuss and post all things other than hobby.
jack
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2562
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: Ahmedabad

11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby jack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:27 pm

hello all

I am in the process of making a 11 footer tank need some help and suggestions from you all. This is a long due project and have no idea how much time will it take to complete the project.

Have ordered the glass and SS frame to make the tank.

General Info

Info: This will be low stocked high filtered tank with easy low maintenance plants, woods, large schooling tetra and 18-24 Nos of Altums OR 20 Nos wild Discus, Few Plecos, 6-8 Geophagus and may be few corydoras. Want to keep it simple and easy to care for.

Tank Size : 11 Feet X 27 Inches X 27 Inches

Filteration : ??

Light : Not Thought of as it will be lightly planted so dont need to spend much on lights. May be LED pendants

My Questions

1) what is the ideal filtration for this size tank with good flow ? I don't want the dust to settle on the leaves of plants.

2) it will be open tank. The fishes in the tank might like to jump. how to make them safe ?

Thank You

Awaiting for reply.


Finally i am Broke but Happy :D

User avatar
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10354
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am
Location: Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: 11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby SCORPIO » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:58 pm

jack wrote:1) what is the ideal filtration for this size tank with good flow ? I don't want the dust to settle on the leaves of plants.


The tank will hold around 1400 liter of water. You can have following options for filtration:
1. Use 2 Eheim 2217 with two wave makers on both sides. Wave makers will make good flow of water while the two 2217 will filter the water.
2. Another option is to use sump filter.

jack wrote:2) it will be open tank. The fishes in the tank might like to jump. how to make them safe ?


Use net to cover the aquarium. It will not look good so you can make a net frame to put or hand over the tank.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda

User avatar
parthapratim22
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5289
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:38 am
Location: KOLKATA>HYDERABAD>DELHI

Re: 11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby parthapratim22 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:15 pm

Woww thats great ...sounds amazing. Where you making this tank, at your house(inside or outside)?

I would ask start with Normal discuss and see how they react with the condition. In this weather its tough to maintain if kept outside, specially Altum r WILD discuss, correct me if I am wrong.

Filtration I would always say SUMP, easy to maintain, increases water volume.

you can cover easily with mosquito window net.

Also excited about the decoration part...keep us updated.
Aquascaping Products and Designs viewforum.php?f=60
9599388127

jack
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2562
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: Ahmedabad

Re: 11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby jack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 pm

SCORPIO wrote:
jack wrote:1) what is the ideal filtration for this size tank with good flow ? I don't want the dust to settle on the leaves of plants.


The tank will hold around 1400 liter of water. You can have following options for filtration:
1. Use 2 Eheim 2217 with two wave makers on both sides. Wave makers will make good flow of water while the two 2217 will filter the water.
2. Another option is to use sump filter.

jack wrote:2) it will be open tank. The fishes in the tank might like to jump. how to make them safe ?


Use net to cover the aquarium. It will not look good so you can make a net frame to put or hand over the tank.


1) Sump i have all the euipempents and stuff but this time i am planning not to go with sump as this tank is inside the house. Sump always creates noice..

2) net frame sounds good...
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D

jack
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2562
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: Ahmedabad

Re: 11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby jack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:02 pm

parthapratim22 wrote:Woww thats great ...sounds amazing. Where you making this tank, at your house(inside or outside)?

I would ask start with Normal discuss and see how they react with the condition. In this weather its tough to maintain if kept outside, specially Altum r WILD discuss, correct me if I am wrong.

Filtration I would always say SUMP, easy to maintain, increases water volume.

you can cover easily with mosquito window net.

Also excited about the decoration part...keep us updated.


I have a discus tank currently so should not be an issue and as quoted earlier this is a very long process of setting up the tank so not sure.

Also my practice is to run the tank empty for few weeks to month and chk all the water parameters and stuff than to introduce the fishes. Altums or Wild discus being very premium and expensive stuff for sure i am not taking any chances.

The tank will be inside the house.

SUMP is always a best option to go for but the only issue is the noise that it creates. So planning few external filters

For the layout i like empty spaces ... so for the right side of the tank i have thought of adding woods with Anubias and Ferns and left side would be a small group of lilies thats itt.. rest of the tank empty no decorations... just plain white sand ....
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D

jack
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2562
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: Ahmedabad

Re: 11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby jack » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:03 pm

One more issue with the sump would be i am planning a continuous water change system so for that sump can be issue to maintain water levels...
how to do Automatic Water Change ?
Any Ideas ?
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D

User avatar
sushant
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2887
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:36 am
Location: Faridabad, Haryana
Contact:

Re: 11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby sushant » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:00 am

jack wrote:how to do Automatic Water Change ?
Any Ideas ?

solonoids on timer
Sushant

jack
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2562
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: Ahmedabad

Re: 11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby jack » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:13 am

sushant wrote:[quote="jack"]
how to do Automatic Water Change ?
Any Ideas ?

solonoids on timer[/quote]

For that i need an extra storage tank but how about continous water change ?
Like from 1 end i fill the water and from other end water flows out ...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D

User avatar
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 10354
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 am
Location: Delhi, India
Contact:

Re: 11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby SCORPIO » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:24 am

jack wrote:
sushant wrote:[quote="jack"]
how to do Automatic Water Change ?
Any Ideas ?

solonoids on timer


For that i need an extra storage tank but how about continous water change ?
Like from 1 end i fill the water and from other end water flows out ...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Then you have to maintain the speed of water flow from both ends.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda

jack
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2562
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm
Location: Ahmedabad

Re: 11 Footer Tank !!

Unread postby jack » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:35 am

SCORPIO wrote:[quote="jack"][quote="sushant"][quote="jack"]
how to do Automatic Water Change ?
Any Ideas ?

solonoids on timer[/quote]

For that i need an extra storage tank but how about continous water change ?
Like from 1 end i fill the water and from other end water flows out ...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

Then you have to maintain the speed of water flow from both ends.[/quote]


But how ??


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D