Macro Extension Tubes Vs Macro Lense

Post your quires related to aquatic photography.
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Macro Extension Tubes Vs Macro Lense

Unread post by apuda2010 »

These are diopters. There are two cheap ways of doing a macro - a diopter or an extension ring. Fundamentally, both do the same job by bringing the point of focus beyond the plane of the sensor which then ensures a close-up. However, diopters are a piece of physical glass, they retain sensor data between lens and body but you lose stops, ability to focus sharply and also have chromatic aberration. Extension tubes on the other hand do not interfere with the light but also do not transmit sensor data, atleast the cheaper onces.

A 105mm lens is a very good lens to start with for macro. A 300mm also doubles up as a super macro, but needs a lot of skill to manage.

Here's my two cents on workable macros at low cost - Most PNS (point and shoot) cameras have shooting modes. One of these modes is called Macro. When used in this mode, the aperture opens up wide, and the sensor latches on to a subject at close proximity. A good quality PNS, with good image resolution and stabilisation, with a small table tripod and the flash off can give very good results. This works for small fish and reptiles etc and you can buy a good PNS between 10 to 20,000.
Ashok
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Ashok »

juanico wrote:you can try one of tose:

http://raynox.co.jp/english/digital/d_slr/index.html

affordable, but you have to focus manually, with ok results...its ok for fun shots, but not for professional shots.
Hey juanico after been a long time we both meet here hope all is well with you.
juanico these diopters or close up lenses does not provide more than 2-3 inch work space and i want to shoot the object atleast 1.5 feet deep in the tank. Can we use these with auto macro extension tube, which increase work space for me but with light lose??
Ashok
Ashok
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Ashok »

Abhishek wrote:Ashok da, if you love macro then go with a macro lens.
And if budget is tight then -
Would suggest instead of getting the macro extension tubes you can get the Macro Ring or else the reversal ring.
I have personally used both of them before getting the macro lens and the results were decent!!
Abhishek i have reversal ring but its not provide work space more than 3 inch.
Ashok