which camera to buy

Post your quires related to aquatic photography.
sushant

which camera to buy

Unread post by sushant »

i'm finally decided to buy a digital camera this month and have zeroed upon three cameras canon 550D, nikon D5100 and sony A35 (DSLT)

Though i'm more inclined towards canon but still would like some suggestions from our master photographers on DSTL.
Sushant
juanico
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Re: which camera to buy

Unread post by juanico »

sushant wrote:i'm finally decided to buy a digital camera this month and have zeroed upon three cameras canon 550D, nikon D5100 and sony A35 (DSLT)

Though i'm more inclined towards canon but still would like some suggestions from our master photographers on DSTL.
i am just a hobby photographer and also have to get a new camera, since my EOS 400D gave up completely. so far i was always convinced of slr, but considering another option now: a bridge camera.

the advantages are...less weight, no changing of lenses, cheaper than DSLR.
the quality of photos is almost as good as the dslr. only professionals may see a difference, but for hobby photographers they are sufficient.
i narrowed down my choice to:
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS and Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150
the reviews for both are good, check it out.
jack

Unread post by jack »

i just got canon 550D a week back.. satisfied with the results, though have not fiddled around much but still.....

i research a lot and came to conclusion canon is the best option to go for.
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
Romi
Editor
Editor

Unread post by Romi »

hmm... amir knows a place in CP where u can actually try the model out before u purchase, do u know?
jack

Unread post by jack »

I think every shop give customer a freedom to try out models.....
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

i was particularly interested in reviews and suggestions for DSLT. any idea about it?
Sushant
Tirtha
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Tirtha »

sushant wrote:i was particularly interested in reviews and suggestions for DSLT. any idea about it?
Sony is famous for it's point and shoot cameras and beginner in DSLR field. Also, there are very few lens available which are compatible with Sony and comes with a big price tag. I will not suggest to go for Sony.

Canon and Nikon, both are old and big players in market and both are having consumer grade great DSLR. You can choose from them.

Personally I am Canon User (500D) and happy with it's performance. Also there are couple of superb quality lens from Canon with a very low price tag. So I will suggest you Canon 550D with 18-55mm and 55-250mm IS lens.

There is a Canon Experience shop in Ambiance Mall, Gurgaon. You can go and try out any model and any Lense from the house of Canon as long as you want.
Regards,
Tirtha
apuda2010
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by apuda2010 »

Sushant,

My two cents on the topic....

It DOES NOT matter what camera you use to shoot. What matters is what you shoot. A DSLR is an absolute overkill for photographs of your aquarium, family, friends, marriages etc etc.

Sony/Olympus/Panasonic/Nikon/Canon all make semi-pro cameras which use exactly the same hardware as the DSLRs with most pro options disabled. Long and expensive lenses are used to bring the subject closer but nothing is more important than learning how to compose and make best use of light.

Visit any of the photography stores in Palika Bazar. Try a few cameras and check them out. Your best bet for branded goods is Mahatta Corp at Connaught Place. He is pricey but very good. And the god of photography in Delhi is Madanjee (like JJMehta is for Bombay). His shop is in Chandi Chowk just after the bird's hospital on the left.

On the performance of brands :

Best optics - Nikon
Best usability and integration with downstream processing (printing etc) - Canon
Best consumer grade balanced image - Sony
Best HD recording - Panasonic

It is entirely your call on what is it you want to shoot. The camera will simply act as your medium.
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

If you are going to buy a point and shoot camera, Nikon will be best.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
sushant

Unread post by sushant »

SCORPIO wrote:If you are going to buy a point and shoot camera, Nikon will be best.
rajiv jo its either DSLR or DSLT
Sushant