Acrylic Sheets - Cost and availability in NCR

Post the details about DIY Projects.
djmankotia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!
Location: Lajpat Nagar (New Delhi) and Dharamshala, (Himachal Pradesh)

Acrylic Sheets - Cost and availability in NCR

Unread post by djmankotia »

Dear fellow hobbyists,

I am looking for 4 mm clear acrylic sheets to make tank for Betta fighter fish. I am located in Delhi. Can someone help me with the following info:

1. Where can I get acrylic sheets (in retail) in Delhi/NCR region? I have heard in Paharganj (chuna Mandi) they sell only in bulk quantity.

2. What is the approximate price per sq foot for 4 mm sheets?

3. How to cut the acrylic sheets? Is there a special cutter or would a normal big blade cutter that is sold in stationary shops be good?

4. How can we make the edges smooth so that choloform welding is perfect?

Kindly suggest. Thanks in advance!

regards,
DJ
ishaan
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Acrylic Sheets - Cost and availability in NCR

Unread post by ishaan »

djmankotia wrote:3. How to cut the acrylic sheets? Is there a special cutter or would a normal big blade cutter that is sold in stationary shops be good?
i used simple cutter and screw driver :lol: :lol: to cut acrylic sheet.

djmankotia wrote:4. How can we make the edges smooth so that choloform welding is perfect?
you can use sand paper to make the edges smooth
A collection of mistakes is called experience and experience is the key to success.
Ishaan Pathania
+919041208868
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

djmankotia wrote:Dear fellow hobbyists,

I am looking for 4 mm clear acrylic sheets to make tank for Betta fighter fish. I am located in Delhi. Can someone help me with the following info:

1. Where can I get acrylic sheets (in retail) in Delhi/NCR region? I have heard in Paharganj (chuna Mandi) they sell only in bulk quantity.

2. What is the approximate price per sq foot for 4 mm sheets?

3. How to cut the acrylic sheets? Is there a special cutter or would a normal big blade cutter that is sold in stationary shops be good?

4. How can we make the edges smooth so that choloform welding is perfect?

Kindly suggest. Thanks in advance!

regards,
DJ
1. You can got acrylic sheets from Paharganj. There are 3-4 shops sales to retailers in opposite side of Sheela cinema.
2. Price not remember.
3. They will offer the acrylic sheets cutting in your mentioned dimensions.
4. A polish is used to make smooth edges using a lamp. I think this technique is called flame polish.

Aamir can guide u.
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
djmankotia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Hello everyone,

An update to this thread. For now, I have postponed the plan to construct the Betta barracks due to my busy schedule. However, I did visit the acrylic market in Paharganj. For the benefit of the forum members, if anyone needs any kind of information regarding price (approximate), cutting, direction to the shops, etc. feel free to contact me.

Regards,
DJ
marsaiko
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by marsaiko »

Thanks a lot DJ, can you find out the price for laser cutting per foot?
also price for flame polish per foot
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
djmankotia
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Marsaiko,
I didn't go into much details (laser cutting, polish, etc) - but one shop quoted 65 INR per sq. foot for making the edges, now I wonder by what method (laser or mechanical cutter) he meant or whether it included flame polishing. I have PM you some phone numbers, you can ask them directly. Else if I go there again, I will ask all the details related to cutting/polishing including price.

- DJ
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi,

Most will do a mechanical polish using a hand grinder and Rubbing compound with a Cloth disc.

For Laser cuts, flame polish you will have to search for acrylic factories that make different products from the material. In paharganj they most sell sheets as cut peices or boards which again dont need any major cutting except a straight cut using a table saw.

You can contact Shakti plastics in paharganj they offer attractive rates on sheets and have both malaysian and chinese sheets. Chinese sheets cannot be bent, malaysian sheers would be in cast acrylic so can be bent.

Regards
Nirav

Regards
Nirav
marsaiko

Unread post by marsaiko »

ll try checking factroy guys, thanks
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!