LED lighting

Post the details about DIY Projects.
syed.ali
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

LED lighting

Unread post by syed.ali »

I had done this POC for LED long time back but never got time to upload the pics.

Since now more and more ppl are getting interested in it, I thought its high time to upload it.

Since it was first attempt and i wanted to see if i would be be able to do i went with 1watt LED.

I used commonly available things. Used aluminium bar available commonly in hardware store as heat sink. didint use the aluminium stick bar as i though this with perforation has more heat dissipation area.

Used old 12 v adapter of old cordless phone.

When joining led pcb to the alumminium bar i did put some thermal paste, which you can get in nehru place for 15/-. It provides better heat transfer, between the 2 bodies. I have run it non stop in the winters whole night. It has being running for more than 3 months, no issue. I will be now replacing the 1 watt led with 3 watt ones. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
syed.ali

Re: LED lighting

Unread post by syed.ali »

This is the power source
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vikram
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by vikram »

Good man .. please let us know details of each component used and where have your purchased from.

LED are good power savers with some initial investment costs .. now ADA is coming up with LED based lighting system
--
Vikram
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi,

driving the led at 12V is an overkill, all you would need is 3.2V - 3.6V - 350ma or 700ma. In summers 12V could overheat the leds. Also you could add a 45deg or 30deg lense for the spread.

Regards
Nirav.
marsaiko

Unread post by marsaiko »

Awesome work Syed :clp :clp :clp
what do you grow with these LEDs? and tank shots with these on please?

Long back I remember LEDs from Sushant, he called them rail-patti heat sinks, still awaiting his remodeled version.

Many thanks for sharing :goodpost

nash81 wrote: driving the led at 12V is an overkill, all you would need is 3.2V - 3.6V - 350ma or 700ma. In summers 12V could overheat the leds.
How are you sure that they are in parallel and not series?
nash81 wrote:Also you could add a 45deg or 30deg lense for the spread.
I read that lens is for concentration and not spread. Or, are the present LEDs already of lesser angle already?
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!
zico_aqua

Unread post by zico_aqua »

LED's are comprises of no gaseous medium as it's there in any other light source we use, so concept of reflection/refraction goes for a toss, light emitted out of a LED travels straight and whatever diversion done can be done with merely placing them at an angle. Now with reference to Nirav's point I would say yes you won't need much of it but to make the system a complete fool-proof adding a small resistor of say 3 - 5 ohm at the first anode point where the power enters the first light would dissipate a lot energy in the form of heat and make it stable from burn out (even though a heat sink has been provided - it can now act as a fail safe mechanism)
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

Hi,

The leds look like the chinese ones available in the market here in delhi and will have a lesser spread than the lense suggested.

From the pic it looks like connected in a series. For 3 x 1 Watt leds, i am guessing the adaptor is 12V 1AMP, usually the ones in beetel cordless phones. It will work but whats more failsafe.

Regards
Nirav.
serpadaniobarb
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by serpadaniobarb »

from where did u purchase the led's and where can u get them in different variations? plz inform
zico_aqua

Unread post by zico_aqua »

nash81 wrote:Hi,

The leds look like the chinese ones available in the market here in delhi and will have a lesser spread than the lense suggested.

From the pic it looks like connected in a series. For 3 x 1 Watt leds, i am guessing the adaptor is 12V 1AMP, usually the ones in beetel cordless phones. It will work but whats more failsafe.

Regards
Nirav.
Well if you go by law of conductance the moment you add a defined resistance it kinda becomes a regulator of a fan, ie, you can control the potential difference that is getting generated hence it's a fail safe. For some reason if there is a spike in voltage, the resistance will burn out breaking the circuit and keeping LED's safe. Same way if you add a variable resistance you can actually increase/decrease light intensity based on usage, again kinda like a fan regulator which has various resistance levels. Heat sink is a solution but adding a resistance is the fail-safe.. :)
Abhradip Choudhuri

Good judgement comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgement.
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

Why not use a constant current driver itself, 1w x 3 led driver would not cost more than 60 bucks. A 12v adaptor may cost more.

regards
nirav