150 gallon reef tank in the making

Forum for discus about various Fish, Corals, Anemones, Invertebrates etc.
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: 150 gallon reef tank in the making

Unread post by aquascapist »

jack wrote:
aquascapist wrote:
jack wrote:WOW nice project going on... for the rocks what is it you are looking into ?
Thanks! I will be using the established rocks from my current aquarium. I'm also going to use a marine pure block in a dedicated chamber in the sump. Currently looking into multiple ways to achieve the aquascape. Options are between using epoxy, drilling rocks and holding them with zip tie and inserting acrylic rods. The main challenge would be with drilling live rocks because the window between drilling them and scaping them would be at most 1 hr or so before things start dying on the rocks.
sorry for late reply.... missed out

1) why not mixture of artificial rocks and LR from your old setup ?

2) there are new rocks in market i forgot the name but are nice and can be used as nice aquascaping.. they are quite pricy though ... if you need any links do lemme know i shall get the contacts and other details... they are some german company
Hi Jack,
I'm already using the rocks from my existing reef setup. However, some of them are not very porous and are rather dense. Thats the reason for reducing rocks and replacing with a media like marine pure. I'm not sure if this gamble works!
Warm Regards,
Aditya
aquascapist
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: RE: Re: 150 gallon reef tank in the making

Unread post by aquascapist »

Abhi wrote:
aquascapist wrote:
jack wrote:WOW nice project going on... for the rocks what is it you are looking into ?
Thanks! I will be using the established rocks from my current aquarium. I'm also going to use a marine pure block in a dedicated chamber in the sump. Currently looking into multiple ways to achieve the aquascape. Options are between using epoxy, drilling rocks and holding them with zip tie and inserting acrylic rods. The main challenge would be with drilling live rocks because the window between drilling them and scaping them would be at most 1 hr or so before things start dying on the rocks.
With the marine pure block, keep a check on the aluminium levels. Have read mixed reviews about those especially if you plan to keep any sps.
Rest let me know when you have frags for sale :twisted: :twisted:

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk
Yea, ill keep a check on the aluminium levels. I have given it a thorough wash to remove any particulates but ill have to keep monitoring and checking coral behavior. I'll let you know if I have some frags for sale or better exchange yipi
Warm Regards,
Aditya
jack

Unread post by jack »

aquascapist wrote:
jack wrote:
aquascapist wrote:
sorry for late reply.... missed out

1) why not mixture of artificial rocks and LR from your old setup ?

2) there are new rocks in market i forgot the name but are nice and can be used as nice aquascaping.. they are quite pricy though ... if you need any links do lemme know i shall get the contacts and other details... they are some german company
Hi Jack,
I'm already using the rocks from my existing reef setup. However, some of them are not very porous and are rather dense. Thats the reason for reducing rocks and replacing with a media like marine pure. I'm not sure if this gamble works!
I have used marine pure and it works. I had 6 marine pure blocks and than all shifted to my discus tank so currently have 15+ marine pure blocks in my sump and i am happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Finally i am Broke but Happy :D
Abhi
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhi »

jack wrote:I have used marine pure and it works. I had 6 marine pure blocks and than all shifted to my discus tank so currently have 15+ marine pure blocks in my sump and i am happy

6 blocks :o :o :o you are stinking rich :P

MTS: Multiple tank syndrome !
jack

Unread post by jack »

Abhi Shut up ... u know i always over filter ;/
Abhi

Unread post by Abhi »

jack wrote:Abhi Shut up ... u know i always over filter ;/
This has got nothing to do with over filtering !!!

jack

Unread post by jack »

It has abhi ..... more biological filteration u keep better for tank, less the WC and happy the fishes

Abhi

Unread post by Abhi »

jack wrote:It has abhi ..... more biological filteration u keep better for tank, less the WC and happy the fishes

Nope :twisted: water changes still needed. Agreed on better the filtration better the system and more balanced. Water change still is a must in my books.

Abhi

Unread post by Abhi »

You can over filter with matrix, substrat pro etc pure blocks are simply ridiculously expensive

jack

Unread post by jack »

I agree they are expensive but are one time investment and are premenant