Live rock requirements

Discuss everything related to Live Rock, Live Sand, Aragonite and other substrates used in marine aquariums.
nishant.datta
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Live rock requirements

Unread post by nishant.datta »

I'm planning on starting a marine tank sometime in the near future and was doing some research. Thought I'd share whatever I find to help fellow members and provide a guide for beginners on live rocks. Please feel free to contribute to this topic. My only request is to provide inputs for adding to the topic.
nishant.datta
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

Re: Live rock requirements

This is by a lay-person for lay persons, so please pardon my limited knowledge on this topic. Live rock are NOT corals. However, mostly the live rock are obtained from the ocean. Basically live rock are rocks with small organisms living on them. Live rock is full of beneficial bacteria which can help with your filtration. Infact, some aquarists only use live rock for filtration alongwith a protein skimmer. Live Rock also has bristile worms, shrimps, crabs and other organisms which help keep the tank clean. and the coraline algeas, feather duster worms, brittle stars, and other hitchhikers which add to the beautiful, natural look.
Abhishek
Promising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by Abhishek »

Arent they illegal in India?
SCORPIO
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread post by SCORPIO »

Abhishek wrote:Arent they illegal in India?
Abishek, they are illegal to keep for a hobbyist but in coastal parts of country, peoples using it for construction of homes. They are destroying all the eco system of the sea but if a hobbyist keeps a small volume, it is illegal. I am agree with you but also agree to the feelings of a hobbyist. :dua
“Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life - think of it, dream of it, live on that idea. This is the way to success.”

...................Swami Vivekananda
Abhishek

Unread post by Abhishek »

SCORPIO wrote:
Abhishek wrote:Arent they illegal in India?
Abishek, they are illegal to keep for a hobbyist but in coastal parts of country, peoples using it for construction of homes. They are destroying all the eco system of the sea but if a hobbyist keeps a small volume, it is illegal. I am agree with you but also agree to the feelings of a hobbyist. :dua
Ok Rajiv Ji, got it- my concern was that we shouldn't promote any kind of activity which is not legal :)
nishant.datta
New Star of AquaPetZ!
New Star of AquaPetZ!

I'll look into the legality of live rock.
vijendra_s123
Aspiring Star of AquapetZ!

Unread post by vijendra_s123 »

nishant.datta wrote:I'll look into the legality of live rock.
Found an interesting article on marine stuff banned by the Indian government here - http://reefbuilders.com/2010/09/25/indi ... ium-hobby/

Aquarium fish breeding and marketing rules - http://moef.nic.in/downloads/public-inf ... s-2010.pdf
juanico

Unread post by juanico »

nishant.datta wrote:Infact, some aquarists only use live rock for filtration alongwith a protein skimmer.
actually in germany almost all marine tanks are run with live rock + protein skimmer only...but strong pumps are required.
the bacteria in the live rocks are responsible for the denitrification process.
nobody uses a permanent filter, since it accumulates nitrate and pollutes the water.
if any, filters are used only for 2-3 days to clear cloudy water, to reduce phosphate, etc....filled with activated carbon or phosphate absorbers.

i ran my marine tank only with live rocks and skimmer for 2 years , without any problems.
nash81
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!
Rising Star of AquaPetZ!

Unread post by nash81 »

The Live rock itself acts as the biological filter, if you are using a sump, wont need any other filteration. All you need is a good flow in the main tank and through the sump and back. Strive to achieve 10X flow and 20X not being uncommon as well.

As Wojtek has pointed out, use a filter media only when needed. Its really not very difficult to run a marine tank, only simple basics should be right.

Regards
Nirav.
marsaiko

Unread post by marsaiko »

when live rock does filteration sump is just to hold skimmer and stuff? :feedb
nut cases ratt
brainless growl
rest you dont understand, and thats where you read/think TWICE before you post!!